PCI Prongs

I was removing my GPU for the first time in a couple years to inspect a problem. I was being careless and forgot that it has to be unlatched to be removed, and ended up tearing off the plastic PCI cover, exposing the prongs, of which many got bent.

Not panicking, I took my electrical kit and started bending the prongs back into the right position. That was going well until I bent one too much and it tore off. It fell into the carpet and I couldn't find it after ten minutes.

I don't want to replace the motherboard if I don't have to - it's a really good one. Is there any reason I can't just find some older broken motherboard and harvest a PCI prong from it and solder it onto this one?

2017-02-20 17.57.02.jpg

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're best off replacing the motherboard. If you like that model, just look for the same one.

ramirez

Even if you think you got those bent back into place I think you would have still have had a issue, that looks pretty destroyed.

giphy.gif

You messed up your MOBO friend

beers

Staff member
How the hell does that actually happen?

Replacement time really, you could attempt desoldering/soldering another slot on there but that seems extremely tedious and a potential risk to other components if it isn't done correctly. There could also be damage to the underlying board along the traces and similar.