pci video card sufficient for certain games?

ReturnToEmpire

i have a problem. i have an old computer that im forced to upgrade to make wow playable and it only has a pci slot. it has 1gb of DDR400 memory which is sufficient i just wanted to know if spending around 75 dollars on a pci video card would provide me with a sufficient framerate. i dont need to run it on excellent setting, just run it smoothly. if there are sufficient cards does anyone have a recommendation. ive been looking at a few
thanks everybody

lincsman

I would personally recommend a computer upgrade, but that is just me. I do not know the modern market but yes it is worth it. I have an older computer that has 768mb of RAM and I installed a PCI Radeon 9250 256mb card, and wow what a difference. Make sure your power supply is up to the task that is my only recommendation for a PCI card, but usually PCI cards don't suck up that much power.
You can get some decent PCI video cards these days so yes I think it is a good idea. Perhaps an 8500- I think they have cards from the 9000 series for PCI too. I would personally avoid the old ones that are in the $40-50 price range, those can be ancient and long discontinued.
I suggest you buy as high-end a card as you can get your power supply to run, as long as you have a dual-core processor. Shop around and find the right thing -don't cheap out. That is all the advice I can give you without your computer specs.

Last edited:

djogoku

I agree with Lincsman. I would, if possible, invest in an upgrade. Now if that's outside the box for you then I would go ahead and get the pci slot gpu but I would go for the least expensive one that has the specs needed to play that game. Just keep in mind that for a little bit more money than you're wanting to spend you could have a new mobo, ram and cpu putting you where you'd want to be.

lincsman

Personally I think that both of those recommendations are good - the 9800 pro (amazing card in its time) and the Nvidia 6000/7000 cards.
These days much is available for not much money - my once uber-good computer would now be worth around 500-600 dollars, and a year and a half ago it could easily run crysis and all the new games. It was definitely worth the purchase. Just another 2 cents of info for the thread.

ReturnToEmpire

the system is actually a hewlett packard mini tower. p4 3.0 ghz, 1gb ddr400 RAM. integrated graphics, the only pci slot is actually being taken by a 56k modem. lol its a decent little comp but cant do jack for games so i think im going to take your guys advice and just upgrade the entire thing. thanks

viper110110

Last edited: