Pcx

double-dragon

A couple of questions about these new-fangled PCX cards:
  1. Are the only compatible motherboards P4 ones?
  2. Will AGP cards become effectively redundant?
  3. If they are only available on P4 boards what do you think to this spec: P4E 2.8GHz, Some sort of P4 mobo, Gigabyte X600 PCX card, 1024MB?
Cheers :cool: double-dragon :cool:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
took me a minute to catch on..

PCI Express motherboards if not already available will be soon i'd imaging for AMD. AGP cards will eventualy be replaced but not anytime soon. as far as those specs go they are ok but I suppose it would really depend on what your going to be doing with the system and how much you pay for it :)..

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
are you asking about PCI Express? or PCI-X they are two different things and i'm pretty sure your talking about PCI Express so I'll answer your question.

question about the PCI-X so PCI-X cards will not work in normal PCI slots?

NO PCI Express cards will not work in PCI slots.. it's Y they are PCI Express and not PCI :)..

daflo1

I have been looking for a mobo with a pci express slot but so far i can only find intel ones!? are there amd ones? i wanna get a geforce 6600gt and that isa pci-e card for my AMD computer

calvinius

I aint seen any for AMD but ive gone down the P4 route
just got AA8-DURAMAX mobo
need to consider which PCI-Express card
im thinking of ATI Radeon X800XT Platimum 256MB

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Unfortunatly I dont think there are any yet :-(. I was hoping for one when I put together my system but since there where none and I wanted AMD 64 system terribly I opt for AGP... I believe there's going to be great agp cards for the next 2-3 years anyhow at which time I'll be ready to build my new system all over again :)..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are the only compatible motherboards P4 ones?
Not anymore.

Will AGP cards become effectively redundant?
1. THey will never be redundent. They will be obsolete
2. Obsolecence wont happen for another year and a half at least
3. The X600 can barely chug to keep up with the 9800Pro, has and older feature set and in general is crappier in every respect.

question about the PCI-X so PCI-X cards will not work in normal PCI slots?
They work in PCIx1 and PCIx16 slots.

If you have ever seen the PCX slot its about 1/3 the size of a PCI slot
You'll save us and yourself a lot of grief if you called them "PCIx" rather than PCX (cuz PCX is something else)

so far i can only find intel ones!? are there amd ones?
Because Intel has been depending on PCIx to save their ass marketing wise.

i wanna get a geforce 6600gt and that isa pci-e card for my AMD computer
If you get the PCIx16 version then it will be :)

I aint seen any for AMD
MSI has a handful of (reference) nF4SLI boards

im thinking of ATI Radeon X800XT Platimum 256MB
If you can afford it thats the best route.

Unfortunatly I dont think there are any yet :-(.
Oh there are. We just need to wait a few weeks for them to trickle through

I believe there's going to be great agp cards for the next 2-3 years anyhow at which time I'll be ready to build my new system all over again :)..
Why the rush for PCIx16? AGP8x isnt being tested no point in doubling the bandwidth that wont be used
g