PDU Question?

I recently purchsed a dell XPS 8960 Desktop The specs are a intel I9 13 Gen , 64 Gb ram 4 TB Ssd, Nvidia 4070 GPU and I use two 27 inch monitors I ordered a 1000 watt Power supply along with liquid cooling as well

I have now read in the Dell set up guide that they recommend using a PDU with the 1000 watt power supply I personally have never heard of a PDU My question is do I really need this? I do not use my computer for any gaming at all I do extensive photo editing for my photography business no video.

Any help on this would be so appreciated Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That 1000 psu is way overkill for your system. A good 700 watt unit will suffice and give about 100 watts of headroom for upgrades. Not sure where you got the info that you need a PDU for your system but you don't. You are a consumer not a business.

That 1000 psu is way overkill for your system. A good 700 watt unit will suffice and give about 100 watts of headroom for upgrades. Not sure where you got the info that you need a PDU for your system but you don't. You are a consumer not a business.
Yes I now realize that I do not need a 1000 watt power supply but that is what it has and I see the set up info from Dell suggest that I use a PDU so would yu say I do not need a PDU because I am just using as a Personal computer

beers

Staff member
It does say PDU, but that's referring to what you would connect the PSU to, which is a different thing.

I'd expect more of that verbiage in a data center, but you should be 'okay', it was just more of an indication that it's a higher draw appliance so being mindful of circuit and wiring capacity.

It does say PDU, but that's referring to what you would connect the PSU to, which is a different thing.

I'd expect more of that verbiage in a data center, but you should be 'okay', it was just more of an indication that it's a higher draw appliance so being mindful of circuit and wiring capacity.
Thank you!