Peer G2

IBEPCWIZ

Anyone know of a good program like PG2 for vista? I have it working on my computer fine but every one of my friends computers it wont work on. They have a download from their website but it doesnt work. I have looked into this on other websites but can come up with anything. Thanks in advance.

G25r8cer

Dont quote me but, I think talking about PeerGuardian type programs is against forum rules which, I think is bogus. Peerguardian is symply a firewall designed to block certain ip's from accessing your pc.

IBEPCWIZ

Well if someone has a problem with it, then someone can talk to me about it. I would not see a problem with people not wanting other people looking into peoples computers. It just blockes ips like you said. So anyone willing to help please

G25r8cer

^^ Correct it does but, most people use it to block bad ip's when downloading torrents. Right?

G25r8cer

It seems that mods dont mind since they havent said anything yet. So another program like PG2 is called ProtoWall.

Twist86

My PG2 works just fine on Vista x64....I enabled "test mode" to avoid having to F8 each time to disable drivers.

Have him try the F8 method....if it works then he will need to download a tool called DSEO 1.2 follow directions from there.

I've also heard that PeerBlock has supposedly taken over from where PG2 left off.

Will have to check that out PG2 really hasn't updated much and I want to try windows 7 next month (and would avoid the common issues as such)

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Respital

My PG2 works just fine on Vista x64....I enabled "test mode" to avoid having to F8 each time to disable drivers.

Have him try the F8 method....if it works then he will need to download a tool called DSEO 1.2 follow directions from there.

Will have to check that out PG2 really hasn't updated much and I want to try windows 7 next month (and would avoid the common issues as such)

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem, if you test it out be sure to post the results either here or send them to me in a PM. :)

Twist86

Sure will do but it wont be till month mind you so will be a bit of a wait ^-^

If it works I will donate to their license fees as well.

G25r8cer

PG2 does work on Win7

I used it for a while but, decided to stick with a trustworthy Firewall instead

bomberboysk

Peerguardian is just a general secuity program,personlly i dont see anything wrong with discussing it. Its more or less a low level firewall...

Which is why i would recommend using an actual firewall vs a program like peerguardian. Comodo and Zone Alarm both have a decent free firewall.

Torrent/Filesharing applications on the other hand are against forum rules when used for illegal purposes, which is the main reason threads regarding torrents are shut down.

Last edited:

G25r8cer

^^ The programs/applications themselves are NOT illegal and are NOT against forum rules to talk about. The torrents themselves are illegal

Twist86

Well I been using PeerBlock v0.9.1 and I must say its impressive.

Daily Updates (Update has yet to fail which is not uncommon with PG2) there is no "start with PC" option but you can fix this by putting it in your startup folder.

Its a stand-alone so no installing.

PeerBlock should be blocking IPv6 as well as IPv4, even people "masking" their IP-addresses by hiding an IPv4 addr inside an IPv6 via Teredo. There are still a couple of quirks in the IPv6-handling stuff though, like the inability to right-click on them to add them to allow/block-lists, and I don't believe they show up in the history logs.

It also works in Vista x64 without issue (I disabled test mode and no F8) and I will be installing Windows 7 in a few days and test it out with it.

So far I am impressed with it....a big step vs the lazy PG devs...which I understand its free but 1+ years without ANY progress is kinda sad.