Pentium 4 or pentium CeleronD Cpu?

silv55

Hi guys; i have an emachines T3958 with intel D845GVSR socket MPGA 478 400/533FSB mother board it came with Intel Celeron D 340 2.93 Ghz CPU which fried due to the known bad Bestec PS,
then i put there an Intel celeron 2.0Ghz but it's sluggish even on the web, so i want to replace it, can use an Intel Pentium 4 2.6ghz,/2.8/3.6ghz,cpu instead of the Intel Celeron D?
i was told Pentium 4 processors are better the the Celeron ones!

Geoff

VIP Member
The Pentium 4 is much better, as long as it's a socket 478 it should work.

Why are you looking to upgrade such an old computer though? Sounds like you need a new one.

silv55

The Pentium 4 is much better, as long as it's a socket 478 it should work.

Why are you looking to upgrade such an old computer though? Sounds like you need a new one.

Thanks Geof; well i really don't need it, but i'm a litle frick when it comes to these old machines that i find on the side of the street and repair them myself,
and i have to have them working properly,this is kinda Hobby.

all of those those Computers mentioned bellow i only bought one of them ten years ago, the Sony Vaio Centrino A195EP, the rest were my findings from people that threw them in the street and i repaired them,i use Linux on them all.

As i stated in a previous post i stated.
«««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««
I have for all my video streaming i use Lenovo Thinkcenter with Intel E5 2400 3.1 GHZ 3.8 socket 1155,with Video Card ATI AMD 6450
and as a back up a Toshiba Satellite laptop Amd C-50 1.00 GHZ 2 GB mem, some times i have both streaming at same time,
also i have a old Sony Centrino Vaio Vgn A195EP lasptop 1.50GHZ 1ghz mem,that i have set up to a RF converter for streaming to all my analog TVs in the house
«««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

As you see this is like a habit forming,anything i find even if old and i repair myself is a great pleasure for me even though i don't need them,i just need one at a time, well some time two at a time.

I love electronics,but i don't like to buy new i rather have old and free that tests good,i also have found about 12 old RCAs and a Vizio 42'' LCD,that i repaired myself and use all of them.

well guys if i don't talk to you before Christmas, i want to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

lovely?

you must know the maximum fsb of the motherboard. some 478 boards would only accept up to the 2.6ghz p4 I believe. power is also a restraint, the fastest p4's draw quite a lot.

G80FTW

you must know the maximum fsb of the motherboard. some 478 boards would only accept up to the 2.6ghz p4 I believe. power is also a restraint, the fastest p4's draw quite a lot.

Dont forget the heat output! My good ol Prescott made it so i never needed a space heater ;)

silv55

Hi guys; update on E machines t3958 upgrade CPU.
Today i got the Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHZ processor that i ordered from Amazon,installed in place of of the Intel Pentium AMD 2.00ghz and it made a huge deference,now everything runs smother and faster even streaming is much better

G80FTW

Hi guys; update on E machines t3958 upgrade CPU.
Today i got the Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHZ processor that i ordered from Amazon,installed in place of of the Intel Pentium AMD 2.00ghz and it made a huge deference,now everything runs smother and faster even streaming is much better

Well, to get this back ontopic, if i remember correctly the 3.06ghz P4 was the fastest Northwood core which had HT and in my opinion, making it the best P4. Much better overclocking with the Northwood cores. I only had the 2.66ghz Northwood which was great but lacked HT. I always wanted the 3.06ghz one to play with. I remember seeing them sail past 4GHz in a day when that was considered FAST. Only got mine up to about 3.2ghz on stock cooling.

Last edited:

lovely?

Well, to get this back ontopic, if i remember correctly the 3.06ghz P4 was the fastest Northwood core which had HT and in my opinion, making it the best P4. Much better overclocking with the Northwood cores. I only had the 2.66ghz Northwood which was great but lacked HT. I always wanted the 3.06ghz one to play with. I remember seeing them sail past 4GHz in a day when that was considered FAST. Only got mine up to about 3.2ghz on stock cooling.

This, in a day when taking my Athlon 64 3400 from 2.4ghz to 2.8ghz was an accomplishment XD

silv55

Another old machine for my collection, this weak i was given by of member of family an old Laptop HP Pavilion DV-5-1254 intel Centrino 2 Duo core P7350
2.00ghz,4 gb mem,Hd video card 4500, it had Win Vista but i couldn't save it cause i tried to make it run better,it was full of bloating ,i tried to restore recovery but it crapped out on me ,and did not have the recovery discs,so there is where Ubuntu 14.04 64bt came to the rescue, now i have a good machine running.

spynoodle

I have to admit that I share this hobby; one of my friends found an old Powermac G4 in a dumpster at one point, and I was very excited to get Linux to run on it.

G80FTW

This, in a day when taking my Athlon 64 3400 from 2.4ghz to 2.8ghz was an accomplishment XD

My first build was an Athlon 64 1.6ghz. Got it to 1.9ghz on stock cooling. It always upset me that I couldnt get it to 2ghz :mad: Of course, I did only have a crappy cheap MSI motherboard so the chipset really wasnt meant for overclocking. Nor was the CPU haha. When I started getting into P4s though, my last one was a 3.2GHz Prescott. I never did much overclocking with it though because I only had stock cooling and those things got HOT. 120c hot.

I have to admit that I share this hobby; one of my friends found an old Powermac G4 in a dumpster at one point, and I was very excited to get Linux to run on it.

Why in gods name was it in the dumpster?! They were great machines! My highschool used the G4s for our CAD classes.

Last edited:

silv55

I also Was given an old Aple PPC G5 and installed Debian Wheezy PPC and it runs like a charm for my wife to surf the web and she adores it, it gave me a little work to install sound, and wireless wi-fi, no flash player though.

spynoodle

Why in gods name was it in the dumpster?! They were great machines! My highschool used the G4s for our CAD classes.
This was a really old G4, as in one of the ones that was basically equivalent to a Pentium II PC. Nonetheless, it could still run a lightweight Linux distro. :)