Pentium D 6300 vs Athlon II x2 240

StrangleHold

Staff member
DDR3 board.
Gigabyte GA MA770T UD3P

DDR2 board. Really even the cheaper Biostar or like the Asrock A790GXH/128M board, its a 790GX with onboard and does crossfire. Runs like 85 bucks here.

Or a 785 chipset like the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H or ASUS M4A785-M

It just needs atleast a Southbridge SB710 or above.

Last edited:

gimmigzgy

I'll try to check if the boards you mentioned are available in our country.

What's the percentage that I can unlock a Phenom?

2048Megabytes

I would go with the Phenom II 720 Tri-Core Processor over the Phenom II 550 Dual-Core. You may or may not be able to unlock a Phenom II Tri-Core or Dual-Core and make it into a Quad-Core Processor. I would not buy one and get your hopes up too high.

2048Megabytes

The Phenom II 550 is better than the Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor for gaming. What I think would increase your processing power more for games over a new central processing unit would be a new video card.

Can anyone recommend a good video card for him?

Jet

VIP Member
gimmigzgy, we've gone through this before.

It's simple. Just get the ATi 4850 like you said and buy a better power supply. It'll be a great upgrade! Stop thinking so hard about it.

/End Thread

maroon1

The Phenom II 550 is better than the Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor for gaming. What I think would increase your processing power more for games over a new central processing unit would be a new video card.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=87&p2=97
They look even to me

If he already have E7500 then there is no point to upgrade to another dual core. He should get an Phenom X4 or core 2 quad (I'm pretty sure that his motherboard supports Q9400)

Also, like Jet said upgrading the video card would make much bigger difference than the CPU

Jet

VIP Member
what about the Q6600? would it be worth the upgrade from my e7500?

Do you just want to burn money right now? Get the 4850 + PSU first, and then think if you want to spend more money. The 4850 is worlds better than your current graphics card..

87dtna

Hate to break it to you AMD guys, but an E6300 whips an athlon II 240 like a red headed stepchild. I've owned an E6300, and an Athlon II 245, and of course my Phenom II 550. The E6300, clocked to 3.8ghz performs about the same as my 550! Athlon II 245 at 3.8ghz is not even close to either really.

Clock for clock, the core 2 duo's are faster. Pentium dual core's are about the same as Phenom II 545 and 550's if they are clocked the same. And the new wolfdale celerons are decent, probably still even better than the Athlon II's although I'm sure thats a much closer race.

I was not impressed by the athlon II, at all. Thats why it's gone already.

gimmigzgy

I wanna buy a 550 and make it a quadcore, but I'm not confident enough cuz there is a chance that I can't unlock it...
Is it gonna be a waste of money if I dont?
Cuz I'm gonna sell my e7500 and my mobo to buy a 550 and am3 mobo

mx344

Hate to break it to you AMD guys, but an E6300 whips an athlon II 240 like a red headed stepchild.
Whats you definition of whiped, there very similar cpu's??I know the intel can clock higher than the 240, but come on its not that much of a difference.:rolleyes:

Dude, Forget the new set up, and listen to jet, upgrading you cpu is not the thing to do if you are gaming, its all about your graphics card, so if you gaming at 1650/1050, then forget the whole new set up thing, cause it will be a difference of what? 10-15fps? for a 200$ or you could get a 100$ graphics card and improve gaming by 40fps easy... its a simple answer.

You already have a good cpu anyway, you wont see a difference...

87dtna

Whats you definition of whiped, there very similar cpu's??I know the intel can clock higher than the 240, but come on its not that much of a difference.:rolleyes:

Hmm, have you owned both? Well I have, STFU

Like I said, the E6300 was about the same performance as my Phenom II 550 (as a dual core)...hows that for whipping the Athlon II?

mx344

Hmm, have you owned both? Well I have, STFU

Like I said, the E6300 was about the same performance as my Phenom II 550 (as a dual core)...hows that for whipping the Athlon II?

hmm someones a lil gouchy haha

but you still didnt answer my question sir, dont get all agressive now...:p

mx344

^yup, idk the OP seems to think that they "must" have a totally new system for some reason, all they need is a gfx card lol couldnt get any more simple...

87dtna

Not sure what PSU he has, so that would be the first step, but if it supports it just get a 4850 or a gts250. Then next step is he needs 4gb of ram with faster speeds.