People can see what websites you go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Hi,
A recruiter friend tells me that interviewing companies often find out a candidates "Internet address", and see what websites they look at, as part of the (on the sly) interview process.
They can do this by eg having a Teams interview with the candidate, and during that Teams interview, they can assess what is the internet address.

Also, as part of the selection process, the candidate can be asked to go to the company website, and then the company can see what web address's went to their website, and work out which one is the candidates web address.

So do you agree, its easy for a company to see what websites a candidate has been looking at?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you so paranoid about things like this? Depending on the website, the company may be able to tell what IP address you are using but unless you allow them access to your system, they won't know what websites you access.

beers

Staff member
A recruiter friend tells me that interviewing companies often find out a candidates "Internet address", and see what websites they look at
lol they'd have no way to obtain that, unless you maybe applied through their portal. Just because you know someone's address doesn't mean you know anything else or have an ability to pcap their traffic.

People that are dumb are like 'ah HA I HAVE YOUR IP ADDRESS YOU'RE HAXORED NOW'.

Most places don't care, some places will scrape your social media to see if you have anything obnoxious or offensive.

Samuel1941

A simple way to see if your recruiter friend knows what he is talking about:
Give your email to your friend and ask him to tell you what web sites you have been to?
My belief is he won't be able to.
Is it possible you misunderstood him?? Or is he screwing with you for some reason??

eem2am

Thanks, its like people can track your mobile phone (where you are)....even though they never had access to it.
Also, i think if you go on a Teams call with a company, they can hack into your PC thereafter....because you have to clock on the meeting link, and they can embed the virus into that link?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, its like people can track your mobile phone (where you are)....even though they never had access to it.
Also, i think if you go on a Teams call with a company, they can hack into your PC thereafter....because you have to clock on the meeting link, and they can embed the virus into that link?
I am going to suggest any company that intentionally sends you a malicious link is not somewhere you want to work anyway.

eem2am

Thanks....today for example , a recruitment consultancy sent me their online CV to fill in......so i did.....and now, woudl you agree, its perfectly possible that me clicking the various buttons on that online CV allowed them to plant spy software into my laptop?......i mean, clicking "unsubscribe" on a marketing email can implant spy software into your laptop?

Taking on new staff is, AYK, a massive risk for all companys....its much better if they can get a better idea of the candidate by seeing what websites they are looking at.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks....today for example , a recruitment consultancy sent me their online CV to fill in......so i did.....and now, woudl you agree, its perfectly possible that me clicking the various buttons on that online CV allowed them to plant spy software into my laptop?......i mean, clicking "unsubscribe" on a marketing email can implant spy software into your laptop?

Taking on new staff is, AYK, a massive risk for all companys....its much better if they can get a better idea of the candidate by seeing what websites they are looking at.
I think it's time we close this. This isn't a conspiracy against you and you are way overreacting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.