Performance/Gaming Computer Build, budget ~$1400 give or take

gsdgsag

Performance/Gaming Computer Build, estimated cost ~$2,100

new_gaming_build_sig_large3.jpg

I currently have an MSI gaming laptop, a GT780DX. It is a very good computer, and I can play Skyrim on Ultra. It is an amazing PC, and for laptops it hardly gets any better than this. However, I have decided that since I have two laptops and I never take this laptop anywhere because it is a little too big to carry around, I will build a serious work/gaming PC instead and actually save money (or break even) and have more performance.

Moreover, I am realizing that to have a real PC it really expands my storage capabilities. I recently bought a 3TB USB 3.0 external for $250 and it was a good deal. But I already used up all but 300mb in only 1 month (although a lot was backing up my current hard drives).

So I realized that having a desktop, I can add in new 2TB 3.5" hard drives for less than $100 each. That Significantly decreases cost of storage and expansion.

I have done a bunch of research on parts. I have been dancing around doing this for over a year, and now it is time to move forward.

Since I just bought two 24" 1080p monitors, I won't be needing monitors. I also have a trackball (I don't like mice, just trackball) and also I just bought a nice illuminated keyboard. So now all I need is the tower. EDIT: I returned the Logitech illuminated keyboard and instead got the challenger ultimate keyboard.

After monitors and peripherals, I want to spend a max of about $800 - $1000 on the actual PC. So far it seems to be working out, but I could use some input as to me selections. I have two main builds, an AMD build and an Intel build. Both fit the budget, and the AMD of course is a little bit less expensive. (UPDATE: HOLIDAY BUILD!!)

================================================

Nice trance song I just found, for your enjoyment:

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Go intel. But drop the 2600k for a 2500k, unless you are getting it for the same price. The 2600k does not help in games, but it does help with other programs that are heavily threaded.

Get a good cooler with a little bit of money, like a hyper 212+ or maybe a lower end noctua.

With the money saved, go to a HD7950. Much better card, but not really necessary unless you are worried about having to lower the res or settings, which I am not 100% about.

Motherboard, you really want an ATX, but that one is pretty good. Look and see if you can find a SLI premium I think it is (the ATX of that exact board).

gsdgsag

Go intel. But drop the 2600k for a 2500k, unless you are getting it for the same price. The 2600k does not help in games, but it does help with other programs that are heavily threaded.

Get a good cooler with a little bit of money, like a hyper 212+ or maybe a lower end noctua.

With the money saved, go to a HD7950. Much better card, but not really necessary unless you are worried about having to lower the res or settings, which I am not 100% about.

Motherboard, you really want an ATX, but that one is pretty good. Look and see if you can find a SLI premium I think it is (the ATX of that exact board).

This PC will be used primarily for work. I am an EXTREME multitasker, so unless 2500K is significantly less in price, I would prefer to have the better multithreaded performance of 2600K.

But why do you suggest to get the Intel build instead of the AMD build? The AMD processor here is faster than the 2600K based on this link: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

PassMark - CPU Mark Benchmarks:
AMD FX-8320 - 9,195
Intel i7-2700K - 9,000

Last edited:

Ankur

AMD build will get hotter, but the processor is faster.
Intel build has a slower processor (still fast though), but it will stay cooler.

So what do you think? Is there anything I need to know?
Also, will the motherboards fit in the case? I'm not sure how to determine what case to choose.
--
Nope the Intel is not slower, you probably saw it on CPUbenchmark.net, they are completely wrong.
Check here
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/698?vs=287
and get a 3570K if you are going for the new 7000 AMD cards.
Don't worry about temps, get a decent cooler and you will be fine. About the case look for one which is has good cable management features, airflow, I'll suggest corsair cases.

wolfeking

banned
That site is not even a good benchmark, let alone a end all. It is a video benchmark. Meaning basically more cores is better. The intel slaps the AMD upside the head in clock for clock performance, meaning each MHz does more work.

The 2500k is $100 less and does about the same job, just without hyperthreading. You can clock a 2500k higher on the same heatsinks though, as HT on average adds about 4-5*C to the temps under load. Not world ending, but it can make a difference.

And what kind of work? A good single thread performance will 80+% of the time be better than more threads.

gsdgsag

That site is not even a good benchmark, let alone a end all. It is a video benchmark. Meaning basically more cores is better. The intel slaps the AMD upside the head in clock for clock performance, meaning each MHz does more work.

The 2500k is $100 less and does about the same job, just without hyperthreading. You can clock a 2500k higher on the same heatsinks though, as HT on average adds about 4-5*C to the temps under load. Not world ending, but it can make a difference.

And what kind of work? A good single thread performance will 80+% of the time be better than more threads.

Sorry, I gave the wrong link. I updated the link and posted the benchmarks.

I do graphics work and extreme multitasking with tons of things open.
EDIT: 2500k is only i5. I want i7
Do you have any other suggestions for less expensive i7 processors?

In fact, I might even do 2700K if I go the intel route. 2700K is only about $20 more than 2600K.
I won't be getting 2500K because it is only i5

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
You also have to look at the fact that the intel is clocked slower. Run the 2700k at 4.0GHz and it will smash the AMD with no trouble.

gsdgsag

You also have to look at the fact that the intel is clocked slower. Run the 2700k at 4.0GHz and it will smash the AMD with no trouble.

Ok this is good to know.

Meaning basically more cores is better. The intel slaps the AMD upside the head in clock for clock performance, meaning each MHz does more work.

hmm ok do you have any suggestions for a better benchmark site?

gsdgsag

anandtech.com is the best.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=287 is the bench to look at.

Excellent, thank you! I will use this from now on!

wow, you're right, the 2600K is a lot better! With all except for Photoshop

Which of these two motherboards is better?

EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188097&Tpk=EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128476

Last edited by a moderator:
The eVGA, but neither baords are to great in quality, and they are both old. Go with a Gigabyte UD3H Z77, unless you are buying used and you are limited to those 2.

gsdgsag

The eVGA, but neither boards are to great in quality, and they are both old. Go with a Gigabyte UD3H Z77, unless you are buying used and you are limited to those 2.

Will that work for a Sandy-Bridge processor?

I am not limited to any specific one, I just need the motherboard to be compatible with the following:
* Sandy Bridge i7
* USB 3.0
* high-end graphics like HD7870 or GTX 580

I prefer the cost to be around $130, $150 at most. If I can get $100 board, then even better.

Last edited:

salvage-this

Yeah it will still work. If you want the extra features like PCI express gen 3 you will need to have an ivy bridge processor.

gsdgsag

Yeah it will still work. If you want the extra features like PCI express gen 3 you will need to have an ivy bridge processor.

I don't think I need the special gen 3. I'm ok with using last year's tech if it saves me hundreds of dollars on the build.
Actually what is Gen 3 PCIe? Do I need that?

Does that support Ivy Bridge too? If so then it would be good for future upgradeability..

Last edited:

salvage-this

It is not really necessary but personally I do not like to replace motherboards often. So I would go with the Gigabyte Z77X UD3H or 5H with a 3770K. Sandy bridge will OC further but ivy will still hit 4.5/4.6 reasonably easy. As long as you are not looking to get 4.8+ out of the chip I would get the newer tech. Just my opinion.

gsdgsag

It is not really necessary but personally I do not like to replace motherboards often. So I would go with the Gigabyte Z77X UD3H or 5H with a 3770K. Sandy bridge will OC further but ivy will still hit 4.5/4.6 reasonably easy. As long as you are not looking to get 4.8+ out of the chip I would get the newer tech. Just my opinion.

ok. What size of tower do I need for GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H and a minimum 600W PSU?
I want at least 5 hard drives (for future) and one CD drive.

Last edited:

salvage-this

ATX mid tower is probably the best fit. Toss up a few cases that you like the design of and we can help you find one that is a well built case.

gsdgsag

ATX mid tower is probably the best fit. Toss up a few cases that you like the design of and we can help you find one that is a well built case.

I have a PowerEdge 400SC case (empty) laying around. Could I use that?

I'm about to give you a list of a couple I like, but what is a "Smart HDD Modular System"

It says 6 or 9 bays "Smart HDD Modular System" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103030

If it fits 9 HDD then I might be interested in this one.
EDIT: I think I understand now. I think that 4 of the bays can be either 5.25" bays or 3.5" HDD bays. So it can have up to 9 HDD in it. Let me know if I am wrong.

Will this work?

DIYPC DIY-5823BK Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 1 x 80mm Fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353006

I like that it has 6 HDD bays (I assume this means 5 HDD and 1 DVD drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong). PLUS it's only $15!! I also like how basic it is, so it doesn't look expensive. I care more about performance. I don't want to show it off. If someone comes in my room, I want them to think "normal PC" - or better yet, nothing at all. If this will work for my needs I actually think I want this one.

Are there any downsides to this one? Perhaps I need a high-speed fan?

Oh, I think I get it. Basically any ATX motherboard can fit in a case which says it is compatible with ATX?

Last edited by a moderator:

salvage-this

As long as the case is ATX and not m-ATX or Mini/Micro ATX. If it has compatibility with all of them that is fine but you need ATX compatibility for sure.

Just looking over the cases you have posted so far. You mentioned 9 drives? Are you looking to have that much storage? How do you want your system setup? Do you have a budget for your case planned out?

gsdgsag

As long as the case is ATX and not m-ATX or Mini/Micro ATX. If it has compatibility with all of them that is fine but you need ATX compatibility for sure.

Just looking over the cases you have posted so far. You mentioned 9 drives? Are you looking to have that much storage? How do you want your system setup? Do you have a budget for your case planned out?

Yes, I do want that much storage. One of the key reasons is so I can go add $80 2TB hard drives whenever I run out of storage. With 9 bays I could have 18TB. Trust me, I would use it, because technically that's only 9TB if you back everything up at least once. And by next year, 2TB SATA2 drives will be only $50. The following year they will be $30.

Yes, I have the budget for the case planned out. If you look at the original post, $50 case which is average is included in the budget.