Performance/Gaming Computer Build, budget ~$1400 give or take

salvage-this

Yes, I do want that much storage. One of the key reasons is so I can go add $80 2TB hard drives whenever I run out of storage. With 9 bays I could have 18TB. Trust me, I would use it, because technically that's only 9TB if you back everything up at least once.

Yes. If you look at original post, $50 case which is average is included in the budget.

Gotcha. Alright well I'll look around to see if there is anything good for a decent price but that will be tough to find that kind of storage for that price.

Take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 6 drive bays stock that you can convert later with an 5.25 to 3.5 adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=3.5 to 5.25 bay adapter&Submit=ENE

Last edited:

gsdgsag

Gotcha. Alright well I'll look around to see if there is anything good for a decent price but that will be tough to find that kind of storage for that price.

I already know you can get a 3.5" 2TB bare HDD for $80. I did the research before posting. Average is $100 though.
But if you go on craigslist you can sometimes get one for even cheaper.

Take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 6 drive bays stock that you can convert later with an 5.25 to 3.5 adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=3.5 to 5.25 bay adapter&Submit=ENE

after reading reviews about the cheap cases, I will be getting a case at least $50.

The first link you gave me is too fancy. The idea is to be high-performance, but not look like it.
I think I'm going to go with my original idea: Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129181&name=Computer-Cases

Also your second link is useful; good to know that I can just get an adapter for the 5.25" bays.

I don't understand, there are like 20 kinds and brands of HD7870. ATI, XFX, PowerColor, IceQX, Sapphire, Gigabyte, and lots of versions of HD7870 like Black, Double D, Core, etc. What do I choose?

Moreover, some of them support two monitor plus HDMI, whereas others only support one monitor plus HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator:

salvage-this

after reading reviews about the cheap cases, I will be getting a case at least $50.

The first link you gave me is too fancy. The idea is to be high-performance, but not look like it.
I think I'm going to go with my original idea: Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129181&name=Computer-Cases

Also your second link is useful; good to know that I can just get an adapter for the 5.25" bays.

that is pretty good for the price. There are certainly better cases but if you want a good case that is not a gaming case for 50 to 100 there are not a huge amount of choices.

just another option. Way better build quality and cooling while not being too flashy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179

I don't understand, there are like 20 kinds and brands of HD7870. ATI, XFX, PowerColor, IceQX, Sapphire, Gigabyte, and lots of versions of HD7870 like Black, Double D, Core, etc. What do I choose?

Moreover, some of them support two monitor plus HDMI, whereas others only support one monitor plus HDMI.

Every card will have a reference design. So all of the cards that look exactly the same are probably the reference cards with stock coolers from different manufacturers. Cards that have better coolers are most likely redesigned cards.

All of the current gaming GPUs can support 2 monitors. Some can support more than that. Generally you have 2 DVI and another port or two for extra support if you use more than 2 monitors.

gsdgsag

that is pretty good for the price. There are certainly better cases but if you want a good case that is not a gaming case for 50 to 100 there are not a huge amount of choices.

just another option. Way better build quality and cooling while not being too flashy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179

May not be flashy, but really ugly. And also more than 200% of the price. No thanks. I like my original option.

Every card will have a reference design. So all of the cards that look exactly the same are probably the reference cards with stock coolers from different manufacturers. Cards that have better coolers are most likely redesigned cards.

All of the current gaming GPUs can support 2 monitors. Some can support more than that. Generally you have 2 DVI and another port or two for extra support if you use more than 2 monitors.

No I see tons of them with only one DVI port.

FuryRosewood

I'm getting confused by the quoting, I would second the case that salvage recommended...and unless your backing up the internet, I don't see a point in 9 2TB harddisks... not unless your planning on running a dedicated RAID card or something... which will cost about 200 bucks on its own on the low end.

salvage-this

I don't see the point in it either. If that is what he wants I won't tell him no. Good news though, if he is not running RAID he can just get a decent storage card and run the rest off of the motherboard. If he is looking for RAID he is looking at $600+ for a single RAID card that can handle 9 drives. Or he could use 2 RAID cards and set up 2 different RAID arrays.

gsdgsag

I'm getting confused by the quoting, I would second the case that salvage recommended...and unless your backing up the internet, I don't see a point in 9 2TB harddisks... not unless your planning on running a dedicated RAID card or something... which will cost about 200 bucks on its own on the low end.

I HATE RAID AND WILL NEVER USE IT.
I could delve into the reasons, but let me just for example tell you about my college computer science professor who had a PhD: First day in class he describes to us how his huge RAID setup crashed and he irreparably lost ALL DATA all ALL THE DRIVES. With 100% ZERO CHANCE of ever recovering any data. Just because of one single tiny glitch.

I'm sure 90% of the people on the internet who are pro-RAID have probably never even been to college. No offense.

Last edited:

gsdgsag

for your information, (9TB would not be enough for me, but for sake of argument), 9TB for me would mean 4.5TB of data with one full backup of everything.
Now, currently with all my hard drives and externals, I have OVER 4TB OF SPACE USED UP, WITH NOT A SINGLE BACKED UP FILE, AND AM ACHING FOR MORE SPACE, not to mention taking a BIG RISK by not having ANYTHING backed up. This means even with 9TB OF HARD DRIVES, I would only have 500GB left for storage!!!!! That's because for security I would like to have at least ONE FULL BACKUP of EVERYTHING.

IDEALLY I NEED A 20TB SYSTEM TO LAST ME THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS. That's up to 10TB of space with one full backup of everything and zero duplicate files.

This is because between video files, graphics files, duplicates and revisions of graphics files, applications, web server backups between 20 to 100 clients at any one time, audio files, and other data, it takes up a MASSIVE AMOUNT OF SPACE!!!

My primary largest storage needs, in this order:
* Applications/OS
* Graphics/Web Files/Backups
* Video Files
* Audio Files
* Text Files

Not to mention that more than 1 FULL TB of data just for my movies and television shows. And for that alone I could easily eat up 2 or 3 TB of data in the space of a couple years. And that's only with SMALL (low-resolution) video files, most between only 200MB and 700MB. If I wanted to get/rip blu-ray copies of my movies, it could easily eat up 20 to 100 TIMES that amount. Needless to say, 25 to 50GB movie files, which could easily take up about 25TB of space, will never happen - at least not in the near future.

--

In conclusion, 10 x 2TB Hard Drives would be extremely practical for me, and I would gobble up every byte! (Pun intended!!! XD)

If I can get deals on hard drives, I could get as low as an average of $80 each 2TB hard drive. The probable thing I would do, is:
1. Buy 2 x 2TB HDD @ average $80 each if I search on craigslist and get lucky.
2. Insert my 3TB HDD from my external.
3. Now that I have 5TB, I could buy another couple 2TB HDD over the next few months.
4. Once I run out of space, which I might be able to stretch to another year, the price on HDD will have dropped and I could probably get 3TB or 4TB HDD for the same price as a 2TB this year.

--

Moreover the INTERNET has more than 1 QUADRILLION GIGABYTES OF DATA, and is growing exponentially every day. For perspective, that is 1 TRILLION TERABYTES - which would be equivalent to 500 BILLION 2TB HARD DRIVES.
For further perspective (just doing this math now): 1 2TB Hard Drive is about 3 7/8” in length. 3.875 x 500 Billion = 1,937,500,000,000" = 30,579,230 miles

* This means if you lined up 2TB HARD DRIVES side by side it would reach from Earth to the moon AND BACK exactly 64 TIMES!!!
* If you placed the 2TB Hard Drives side-by-side they would WRAP AROUND THE EARTH 1,228 TIMES!!!
* It's about 37 million miles to Mars, so this means that the hard drives side-by-side would just about reach MARS!!!

* The cost to buy enough 2TB Hard Drives to fit THE ENTIRE INTERNET (@ $100 each), would cost $50 TRILLION DOLLARS!!!!
* There is only an estimated 6 to 8 trillion dollars IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! This means that to get enough money to buy enough hard drives to get the entire internet NOT INCLUDING THE OTHER HARDWARE NEEDED TO RUN THEM, it would take ALL THE MONEY OF EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD FOR SEVEN FULL YEARS to pay for it!!!
* So to say "you could fit the entire internet", IS THE MOST COMPLETELY PREPOSTEROUS THING ANYONE COULD EVER SAY!!!!

Last edited:

salvage-this

I'm sure 90% of the people on the internet who are pro-RAID have probably never even been to college. No offense.

Yeah I am sure that all of those System Administrators that maintain rooms full of servers all running various levels of RAID have no college experience.... lol

I can tell you for sure that RAID by itself is not a bad thing. Hardware and software crashes are part of computing. It sucks when it happens but it does. It sounds like he was using RAID 0 anyway if there was no chance of a recovery. In that case if you are smart enough to set up a RAID system, you should know what you are getting into.

Anyway it makes it easier for us to make your goal of 18\20 TB of system storage not running RAID. Get a decent motherboard that has a lot of SATA ports and then get an expansion card for whatever else you can't fit onto the onboard SATA ports.

gigabiteme

sounds like you are going to have a lot of wires/ antec one mite not be the case for you
try the antec 1100- or antec 300-2(sometimes called 302)- they will keep things running cooler too.regards

gigabiteme

sounds like you are going to have a lot of wires/ antec one mite not be the case for you
try the antec 1100- or antec 300-2(sometimes called 302)- they will keep things running cooler too.regards
added- or maybe a server case

gsdgsag

added- or maybe a server case

I already bought everything. Updating main post now.

updated

Last edited:

gsdgsag

Hey guys, here are the pics. Sorry, I found another more active forum so Ive been posting there. But here are the pics for you guys.

IMG_1048sm.jpg

IMG_1050sm.jpg

IMG_1055sm.jpg

IMG_1056sm.jpg

IMG_1058sm.jpg

IMG_1060sm.jpg

IMG_1061sm.jpg

IMG_1062sm.jpg

IMG_1063sm.jpg

IMG_1064sm.jpg

IMG_1065sm.jpg

IMG_1069sm.jpg

IMG_1068sm.jpg

m3incorp

Very nice build. What's the name of that other forum that you found to be more active if you don't mind saying? Thanks.

empty213

lol, I laugh at people rushing to accept information from benchmark websites.. anyways, FX-8 core processors, has free water cooled stock fan!

Darren

Staff member
For such an amazing rig why only a 50 dollar case (even though I have it :D ). Also no CPU Cooler? Looks awesome though. I love the look of the 7000 series Sapphire cards. I've got a 7850 myself.

spirit

Staff member
I think you're next upgrade should be a better case. The Challenger doesn't have great cable management. Even a small upgrade such as a Define R3/4 or a Carbide 300R would make your rig look massively better.

Darren

Staff member
I think you're next upgrade should be a better case. The Challenger doesn't have great cable management. Even a small upgrade such as a Define R3/4 or a Carbide 300R would make your rig look massively better.

Cable management is alright. It's not great. Works alright for my rig but with a huge rig like that with Crossfire and lots of drives... not so much.

Edit:

See, not too bad.

1001185p.jpg

Last edited: