Personal Computer Trouble

AustinX

I have just attempted to upgrade my computer with an 80gb ultra ata maxtor hard drive and I am having tons of trouble.
My specs are
Athlon Xp 2500+ Barton Core @ 333mhz/ Thermaltake Volcano 12 heatsink
512 mb PNY Optima Ram @ 333mhz
A/Open dvd/cd burner
Soyo KT-600 v1.0 mobo
Nvidia FX5200 128mb Agp
3 80mm case fans 2 back/1 side
Toshiba 3.5" floppy

I had a refurbed maxtor diamond max plus 6 10gb hard drive and was having a lot of trouble with it running slow. I went and purchased this one and while booting up I would get a cmos checksum error and it would shut down with a loud beep like it was overheating. I reset the cmos several times and still came up with the error. If I reset the computer i don't get the error. I then tried installing windows and it would run through loading the files and when it would get to loading windows the comp would shut down with a loud beep. I went into bios and checked the temp and the temp on the die of th cpu was around 170*f after just 30-1minute of being on. I don't know if the mobo is malfunctiong or what. I still have the warranty on the mobo if I should need it. The ethernet connector on the mobo went bad so I probablt need to get a new board anyways. I know this isn't very clear to what my problem is but if anyone has any advice on what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

badmonkey

So your cpu is overheating? If that's the case then do you have any thermal compound or thermal tape between that heatsink and cpu? If not then that's the problem. If you do, please re post with more info.

badmonkey

also go into your bios and make sure cpu voltage is set to default which for that chip i believe is 1.5v but look it up before you change anything