pesky file wont delete even w/ shift+delete

mejustme

Im running windows XP pro on a machine with two hardrives... (C: for os and installation of apps) and (D: just for archives... no apps or anything) A file i created on the D: drive wont delete... after checking show hidden files, and then checking show system files... i found the file INSTR. inside this folder i created... it has no file extension, application association, or data that i can see...
The folder itself insists that it is a read only folder no matter how many times i tell it it is not... when i try to delete either the folder or the file... windows tells me that it cannot delete the file cause it cannot find the specified file... grr...
I know this probably isn't a huge deal or anything, but it is annoying... so, if anyone knows how this supposed 'system' file got on my storage hard drive and how to delete it... i would appreciate the feedback... thanx

red onion

Try rebooting and then deleting the file. If that does not work, try rebooting into safe mode and deleting it. As for what it is, think of virus and spyware scanning.

mejustme

er, yeah, that was the FIRST thing I tried

um yeah, ive so way tried that already, and i use a load of anti crapware... ive done all your standard, get rid of a file in safe mode, and all that... the solution im lookin for isnt your run of the mill thing, i would imagine, or it wouldnt be such a problem...

Anyway, for poops and smiles... i ran adaware se, spybot S&D, hijack this, AVG, bazooka, AntiVir, Avast, CWShredder, webroot spysweeper, avert stinger, and went to housecall... all over this teeny little thing... yeah, i just want to be rid of it or understand why/what it is

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Sorry for posting with nothing helpfull to add but just wanted to comment because this also happened to me in the past and I think of myself as a pretty savy guy but nothing would delete this file and I mean nothing.. I rebooted into safe mode and tryed to delete the thing with command promt even and NOTHING! :) I was enoyed as hell but decided to live with it until the next format. Seems that Windows XP has this annoying little prob that happens know and again and some manage to delete this files and or directorys where other machines just wont.

alienationware

Dude. . .

Dude, this may sound crazy, but have u tried deleting it in WinRAR's file list. I know that WinRAR bypasses crap like looking up the file in the *.ini/registry setting to see if it is "inuse" b4 deleting it. Ah, the good ol days of MS-DOS gone, where you could delete w/e u wanted.