Phenom II question

Kazoon

If I own a computer with a Phenom can I drop a Phenom II in place or will I need to buy a new mother board?

Last edited:

just a noob

i think so, might have to support 140 watt phenoms or whatever, otherwise a bios update might be the only thing you would have to do

Twist86

You might need to update the bios but the 920 will be compatible with AM2+ boards.

Now there is a catch...if your running a Phenom that is a 9650 and below then you may not have a AM2+ board but a AM2 board.

AM2 boards are limited to a max TDP of 95w which the earlier phenoms were....it wasn't till the 9750 to 9950 that it was a 125-140w processor. Thus boards could say "phenom ready" but not support the full line up of phenoms.

We need your specs to tell you if you can or cannot run a P2.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well really it is the chipset that determined if it is a AM2 or AM2+, not how many watts processor it could run. AMD and Nvidia 700 series chipsets are AM2+. Up to 2000/4000 HT and PCIe 2.0.

Plus there is alot of AM2 boards that support 125W processors. The FX 62/ X2 6000 and X2 6400 were 125W. Like I said how many watts processor the board can run has nothing to do with if its a AM2 or AM2+

Some of the early AM2+ boards didnt have a good enough Power Phase set up and lower end mosfets and would burn up running a 125/140W Phenom. Most of them could even run a 9750 125W and even a 9850BE. But with the 9850BE they knew you were going to overclock and run the watts up higher, so they list them as unsupported.

If the board you have now doesnt support 125W then the 2 new AM2+ Phenom II will not run on it. They are 125W too. The AM3 that comes out later, from what I have read are 95W so there is a chance a lowerend AM2+ board will run them, but with DDR2 memory.

From what I have heard no AM2 board is going to get a Phenom II bios update. Only AM2+ boards.

Last edited: