phenom or athlon?

Hitchtech

Cache is just easy access memory for the cpu, its really fast so more is better, some cpu's will store frequently used instructions on it resulting in a boost in speed.

2048Megabytes

If $120 is your limit then the processor 87dtna advised is the best deal. However, if you do not want a 125 Watt processor go with the Phenom II 945.

87dtna

You have heatware or some kind of feedback? Seems shady....$60 for a 955 is ''too good to be true''.

Another forum I'm on banned all accounts associated with Gmail in the classifieds.

Wildduk

Didn't know I could not put on my e-mail....

Its legit, and I will set it up via e-bay, so they are protected by PayPal...

87dtna

On this forum you can....I was just stating that on another forum I'm on they banned Gmail accounts for the classifieds because of too many scammers.

If you set it up on ebay it's plenty safe for the buyer. Ebay pretty much sides on the buyers side if there's a dispute lol.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Some mobos won't work with 125w procs without a BIOS upgrade, others not at all. Gotta check the mobo specs to see if it's usable.

87dtna

The HD5770 itself requires 321W @ peak.

I think you saw a whole system wattage draw for that figure. TDP on a 5770 is 108w, unless it's overclocked the TDP is almost always more than actual draw.

EDIT-
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11

Single GPU 5770

System in IDLE = 228 Watts
System with GPU in FULL Stress = 321 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 93 Watt

Idle wattage is probably around 15w so 108w TDP is right on.

OP- What CPU do you have now? What brand/model power supply? Honestly I wouldn't recommend ANY quad core with a 5770 on a 450w power supply, especially if it's a cheapo power supply. You're gonna pop that PSU and take out the motherboard and possibly video card with it. Keep saving, but a 955 and power supply together. Unless your board can't handle it, what board do you have?
ATI recommends a 500w power supply minimum for a 5770.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
I think you saw a whole system wattage draw for that figure. TDP on a 5770 is 108w, unless it's overclocked the TDP is almost always more than actual draw.

EDIT-
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11

Idle wattage is probably around 15w so 108w TDP is right on.

OP- What CPU do you have now? What brand/model power supply? Honestly I wouldn't recommend ANY quad core with a 5770 on a 450w power supply, especially if it's a cheapo power supply. You're gonna pop that PSU and take out the motherboard and possibly video card with it. Keep saving, but a 955 and power supply together. Unless your board can't handle it, what board do you have?
ATI recommends a 500w power supply minimum for a 5770.

My bad. :eek::eek:
I guess I forgot,I read that article yesterday itself,to check a review for a friend and guess I forgot.