Phone thread! Smart phone junkies!

Tuffie

Build quality isnt as much of factor with Cell phones IF you know how to properly take care of them!

Whaaa, that is completely stupid, what if your a full on person, what if you wanna trust your phone in a young childs hands, what if you wanna go to the beach and have your phone close by rather then leave it in the car... The list goes on.

Think of it this way you're almost saying that the RROD issue in Xbox 360's is ok, because people shouldn't use their Xbox's so often.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Whaaa, that is completely stupid, what if your a full on person, what if you wanna trust your phone in a young childs hands, what if you wanna go to the beach and have your phone close by rather then leave it in the car... The list goes on.

Think of it this way you're almost saying that the RROD issue in Xbox 360's is ok, because people shouldn't use their Xbox's so often.

+1. Although it shouldn't be necessary 24/7, there is always sometime where you will think, "I wish I could bring my phone, but it would probably break". That shouldn't be something to worry about.

G25r8cer

Well I guess yours and my needs or wants are different. My point is if you keep your phone in either a case with a clip or just a rubberized clip on case, with a screen protector, and know how to take care of a phone, it will be fine.

No not quite

Tuffie

Well I guess yours and my needs or wants are different. My point is if you keep your phone in either a case with a clip or just a rubberized clip on case, with a screen protector, and know how to take care of a phone, it will be fine.

No not quite

How do you define "Build quality" then?

I quickly hit google with the query and found:
The general quality of construction, design, etc. of a product.

I'd find the word general to encompass all aspects of a design, why should you have to do all those things?

Not trying to start an argument here also, just discussion.

Ethan3.14159

Build quality isnt as much of factor with Cell phones IF you know how to properly take care of them!
Why pay the same amount of money for a phone with same spec's slapped in some cheap plastic? Build quality is one of the most important points of a device that you carry around with you all day.

G25r8cer

Why pay the same amount of money for a phone with same spec's slapped in some cheap plastic? Build quality is one of the most important points of a device that you carry around with you all day.

Same amount of money? My intercept was $100 the droid x and 2 are what $200? Thats not even including the money spent on contract.

G25r8cer

How do you define "Build quality" then?

I dont need build quality is my point. I got a smartphone for surfing web via wifi, texting, and talking of course:p

Now if ur talking about internals and speed. The intercept is a little bit slower but, IF properly maintained with a process manager, clearing cache etc, it runs great.

So far I have no complaints about the Samsung Intercept.

Not trying to start an argument here also, just discussion.

Me either just discussion

Ethan3.14159

Same amount of money? My intercept was $100 the droid x and 2 are what $200? Thats not even including the money spent on contract.
Okay, look at the cost of the phones without the contract. :rolleyes: The plan greatly influences the price you pay for the phone.

For example: Newegg has the Galaxy S for $659 and the HTC Desire for $589. The HTC has all of the same features as the Galaxy S, except for the 16GB internal memory. However, the build quality is much, much higher. I can easily purchase a 16Gb micro sd card for far less than the price difference between them. Why would I choose the Samsung? I spent a decent amount of time deciding between the 2 and I'm glad I choose build quality over... 16gb internal memory...

massahwahl

VIP Member
I have the ATT Galaxy S (Captivate) and it is an incredibly powerful device! HD movies look amazing, the built in music player is rubish interface but the sound quality is top notch and 5.1 surround through the headphone jack is awesome if your using your phone in your car. I dont really have any complaints with this device, even have three of my iphone friends ready to jump ship to android once they saw how easy it is to customize on android!

massahwahl

VIP Member
Rooting pretty much unlocks the root files on your phone, allowing you to install programs that access those files. It also allows you do install various custom or vanilla roms which is on par to installing an OS on a computer. For more information about rooting and the things you can do with the fascinate nothing really beats these forums. And yes, btw it's possible to root it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=718

I've linked you to the section on your phone.

HTC is the bomb. I love my Legend.

Awesome part about rooting on android too is that if you ever need to send your phone back to the carrier for a replacement, you can use a program called 'Odin' to flash the original rom back to your phone and the carrier is none the wiser!

speedyink

VIP Member
Awesome part about rooting on android too is that if you ever need to send your phone back to the carrier for a replacement, you can use a program called 'Odin' to flash the original rom back to your phone and the carrier is none the wiser!

Good to know, should god forbid I need to.

I love Android. The utter amount of customization to have the phone fit exactly your individual needs is just awesome.

iPhone 4 has some nice features, but I can stand iOS.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Good to know, should god forbid I need to.

I love Android. The utter amount of customization to have the phone fit exactly your individual needs is just awesome.

iPhone 4 has some nice features, but I can stand iOS.

I love the functionality of my iPt. I don't mind iOS. There are a few features I would like to change, but I can do pretty much anything with my iPod I want, so I am ok with it.

Jet

VIP Member
Speaking about phones without contracts--I just picked up an iPhone 3GS 16GB for $120 off of craigslist, then stuck my T-Mobile prepaid SIM in it. No data plan, but $100/year ftw! (Data on Tech's campus is not necessary--there's wifi everywhere).