Photo Editing Desktop

Donoven

Hi,

I really hope I can find the right answer (if there is any...) in here.
I have a 5 year old desktop. This is the spec:

Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7-860 processor 8MB Cache, 2.80GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz-4x2GB
nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
128g SSD
Screen - Dell 22 Inch 2209WA Flat

It's a good machine. but It recently starts to make some issues around the graphic card.

I have two questions:
1. If I'll get a new machine-and I do have the budget-will it be dramatically faster from what I currently have? I use it for photo editing-lightroom, photoshop and other photo editing apps that are running simultaneously OR should I just upgrade what I currently have (replace the graphic card, add RAM, etc.)
2. How difference it will make replacing the screen I have say in the Dell P2415Q?

As I wrote - photo editing is all I care about.

I do hope I provided the right information...it's my first post...

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Donoven.

Donoven

Thank you for your reply Cisco.
As for the monitor-that's what I'm trying to figure out...will I see a big difference? after all what I have is 5 year old...

I got a proposal for the following. I will appreciate if you can tell me if that is something that I should consider and that will be a big improvement of what I currently have:
* Intel i7-4790 Quad core CPU - LGA1150 - 3.6 GHz - 8MB cache
* Extreme3 - ASRock Socket LGA1150 CPU (Haswell, Broadwell) support - Intel Z87 chipset - Dual channel DDR3 up to 2933 MHz memory
* 2x 4GB - 1600Mhz - DDR3 - CL11 - Low Profile
* GeForce GTX750 Ti Superclocked - 2GB - DVI-I+HDMI+DP
* 1TB - 3.5 inch - SATA3 6Gb/s - 7200rpm - 64MB Cache

Again-thank you very much for your help!

D

z3r0

Your current configuration should be more than enough to run what you need to run. I use some pretty resource intensive programs on this machine and it's ancient by today's standards.

I'd focus on the quality of display, tbh. My two cents.

Cisco001

Thank you for your reply Cisco.
As for the monitor-that's what I'm trying to figure out...will I see a big difference? after all what I have is 5 year old...

I got a proposal for the following. I will appreciate if you can tell me if that is something that I should consider and that will be a big improvement of what I currently have:
* Intel i7-4790 Quad core CPU - LGA1150 - 3.6 GHz - 8MB cache
* Extreme3 - ASRock Socket LGA1150 CPU (Haswell, Broadwell) support - Intel Z87 chipset - Dual channel DDR3 up to 2933 MHz memory
* 2x 4GB - 1600Mhz - DDR3 - CL11 - Low Profile
* GeForce GTX750 Ti Superclocked - 2GB - DVI-I+HDMI+DP
* 1TB - 3.5 inch - SATA3 6Gb/s - 7200rpm - 64MB Cache

Again-thank you very much for your help!

D

I don't recommend you change the platform now.
I would suggest you wait until Q3/ Q4 2015 for Intel Skylake, possibly with DDR4 RAM & Windows 10

At the mean time, first priory is getting new video card.

Donoven

Thank you.
There is something I don't understand...my desktop is 5 years old and basically you are saying that there is not much I can do to boost my performance in terms of photo editing?
I mean...5 years...does my current configuration is that good?

spirit

Staff member
Your current configuration isn't that bad but honestly editing photos doesn't require a whole new setup. You already have an i7 and a good amount of RAM etc etc. I edit photos on all three systems in my signature using Photoshop, Lightroom and Photomatix Pro without a problem.

Upgrade your video card to something like a 750 Ti or a GTX 960 (and possibly power supply) and maybe go for 16GB RAM if you can and you should be good.

Donoven

Thank you Spirit.
Ok...so it seems that should be my direction-upgrading some parts (video, ram)

What about the monitor? will it make sense to replace my current Dell (22 Inch 2209WA Flat) with say the Dell P2415Q?

spirit

Staff member
The money you would have spent on a new system put into a really nice IPS colour-calibrated monitor. :)

Donoven

Can you please recommend on a monitor for my purpose of photo editing?
Will Dell P2415Q will be an overkill for my needs?

btw...man...you got some nice images at your gallery...

spirit

Staff member
Can you please recommend on a monitor for my purpose of photo editing?
Will Dell P2415Q will be an overkill for my needs?

btw...man...you got some nice images at your gallery...

Thanks man. I actually don't know a lot about monitors myself (weird since I'm into photography, I know! ;) ) but what I can tell you is that the Dell UltraSharp monitors are very much liked in the photography industry and that particular one looks really nice so if you can afford it go for it! :good:

lincsman

That is a 4K monitor. If you're really serious about your work it might be a nice thing to have, it would make your images look a lot better when viewing them, granted your images are taken at that high of a resolution, which if you have a digital SLR camera, is likely possible. However I would say that it's not a necessity, getting a 1080p monitor with a DVI or HDMI connection (that making it a digital monitor) would suffice nicely. If your current monitor is digital and can do 1080p resolution, I don't see any need to replace it. Just depends on if you want to spoil yourself. That being said if your monitor is analog, meaning it only has a VGA connector, I think an upgrade is in order.

spirit

Staff member
That is a 4K monitor. If you're really serious about your work it might be a nice thing to have, it would make your images look a lot better when viewing them, granted your images are taken at that high of a resolution, which if you have a digital SLR camera, is likely possible. However I would say that it's not a necessity, getting a 1080p monitor with a DVI or HDMI connection (that making it a digital monitor) would suffice nicely. If your current monitor is digital and can do 1080p resolution, I don't see any need to replace it. Just depends on if you want to spoil yourself. That being said if your monitor is analog, meaning it only has a VGA connector, I think an upgrade is in order.

This guy is a photographer. He needs a monitor that is colour calibrated and displays colours accurately. The Dell UltraSharp monitors are extremely good and are designed for this kind of use. I don't have a monitor like that because I'm 17 and can't afford a couple of thousand on a monitor, but if I could then I would. The 4K resolution will be great for his needs and the 750 Ti should be able to drive that monitor, if not a 960 should.

Think about the future too. Spend a lot now and not worry about buying a new monitor every other year or for a long time into the future. With photography you need a fairly powerful system but a great monitor is what's going to make your editing a much nicer experience and make your photos look much better.

I think he should definitely go for it. :good:

Last edited: