Photo Editing Monitor - Will I see the difference?

Donoven

Hi All,

I currently use Dell 22 Inch 2209WA Flat. It's a great monitor but I have it for 5 years now. Video card-nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3.

I'm into photography. Not a professional but hey...I spent a lot of hours near lightroom and PS (CS6).

I'm upgrading my desktop and would like to upgrade my monitor as well.
I was reading a lot about all the great screens for photo editing (Dell UltraSharp U2412M, ASUS PA248QJ, ASUS PB278Q, Samsung SB970 S27B970D and Dell U2713HM made the shortlist for me)

I have 2 questions:
1. Will I really see a big difference from what I have today?
2. Again, from photo editing perspective - will 1920 x 1200 is good enough or should I go with the 2560x1440 resolution?

Thank you all!
D

lincsman

I think you mean 1900 x 1080 resolution. On that note, it would be good enough. It's really a matter of preference. Technology these days is moving towards the higher resolutions, and years down the road will be available for a lot cheaper. So it's really up to you. I did a lot of photo editing years ago on a monitor with I think it was 1280x1024 and that worked for me. My main frustration came from limitations of my camera and didn't really worry too much about the screen resolution.

spirit

Staff member
I'm also very into photography and a Lightroom user. I use a 1080p display on all of my systems to edit photos and it's fine but there's no harm in going higher and actually I think I would probably recommend looking at 1440p. :)

Those are all really nice monitors and given the choice I'd go for the Dell UltraSharps. It's worth the upgrade going from 1080p to a higher resolution alone and the colours that the higher end monitors produce are worth it.

I would maybe consider upgrading your GPU too - something like a 2GB GTX 750 Ti would be perfect for higher resolutions.