Photo Tournament: Flowers!

4NGU$

VIP Member
I say that people who computer edit their pictures should post the original too within the opening slot post to the tournament so you can see how much of the picture has actually been edited. It kind of steers away from being photography when the picture is computer edited. A photographer's quality is picked up by how decent the picture is when taken, not after it's edited (no blur, decent natural background, attention for detail, focus point should all be natural, not computer manipulated, in my opinion).

Pitty there isn't a rule or guideline stating that originals must be shown along with the edited version. That way we could see if they're worth voting for or not depending on the edited amount.

Rove.
you ask for you get
removed to make it easier for hyper to make the poll

if you dont let me use the edit one witch is fair enough then i will just crop and use this one

i personally don't think editing take you away from photography
its a major part of the industry these days
ive said this before and i will say it again
all the pictures in every magazine advert billboard and ETC... will have been edited
its just a fact of photography

Last edited:

Tayl

VIP Member
Don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with editing a picture on a computer to make it that much more appealing. But if this is supposed to be a RAW photograph poll vote (and people are serious but having fun at the same time. Yet most photographers will find posting their unedited pictures fun in itself so) I just think that the original should be the entry and not a computer manipulated one. I stop appreciating photography as photography when it's been manipulated digitally and not naturally. It becomes an image on a computer and not a normal natural photograph when it's been edited, to me that is. So I stop appreciating the picture as much. Where as someone else may have taken more effort in finding the right speed for the shot, angle, lighting, focus points etc and I overlooked that because I thought the other picture was better without knowing it was edited, and how much etc.

I vote a picture (being a fan of professional photography myself) on the skill of the photographer taking the shot themselves, as well as the photograph / picture. And when an image has been edited, it kind of distills, so to speak, the skill and appreciation of the picture and photographer, to me. I like to vote on originals, not computer manipulated. This is more an issue with me and pictures rather than anything in particular to this tourney. I'm a picky sod :p.

I don't care for nor appreciate many billboard or advertisement shots. Professional photography is what I will mainly appreciate in the world of photographs and photographers. And I'm sure a major majority of professional photographers wouldn't edit their pictures. As I mentioned though, it all comes down to personal standards of appreciation :).

:: Edit ::

4NGU$, your unedited photograph is great! It looks much better than the computer edited one. Why did you change it? Lighting and detail seems far more apparent and identifiable in the original. I personally much prefer that :D I'd go with the un-ed one myself.

Rove.

Last edited:

4NGU$

VIP Member
i do feel what you saying and like i say if it a problem i will just use the original image
beleve me i took the time to find the angle and the speed Etc i spent 2 and a half hours
experimenting with light conditions and long exposures with the camera on a tripod
the glow on the flower is a daylight bulb lamp being angled and moved and shone throught the water over 30 seconds
but i wasnt happy with
1) the color of the rose nothing i can do about rose colour
2) the water on the paper behind the glass

i set up a whole mini studio for this shot and then i speant a few hours on photoshop after wards too

so there is time and effort spent on both aspects of the shot

next year i will be back to use my 35mm with only a darkroom for editng anyways so
i will see how that pans out

bass76

VIP Member
I appreciate photography in any form, as long as any editing isn't over the top. You're right about editing being a part of the industry these days. If you can make your photo better with editing WITHOUT butchering it then cool! Why wouldn't you?

You obviously have a good eye Angus, prior and post shot. I absolutely love the bathroom shot you showed a few days ago. Too many times I see a good photo screwed in the hands of someone who is too keen with computer editing.

4NGU$

VIP Member
agreed you have to be very care full with edit coz you can so easily kill an image with it
i mean of corse if i could pull of that shot with out photoshop then even better but as it is im still learning and i have alot to learn so ATM i used it

its amazing the time you can save by spending an extra ten minutes on a shot in camera you could save hours in photoshop
and from what i hear the less photoshop work your shots need then the more likley you are to get work
but these shot are really just for my collection and if they happen to sell then they sell
and thanks again bass :)

4NGU$

VIP Member
:: Edit ::

4NGU$, your unedited photograph is great! It looks much better than the computer edited one. Why did you change it? Lighting and detail seems far more apparent and identifiable in the original. I personally much prefer that :D I'd go with the un-ed one myself.

Rove.

i changed it because i wanted it to look softer and warmer and more sort of caring, it was all done for my GF :rolleyes:

Ben

VIP Member
erm..

OH! And as a side note. Can everyone please make sure your image is at 800x600...Last competition was rather unfair imo, and I know a few others didn't like it as well.

Though, I think our limit should be 1024x768, as I think you can have more detail, and the pictures look more impressive.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:

bass76

VIP Member
They're all good shots Halian, the first one stands out for me. That is an amazing shade of purple. The lighter parts of the petals are pretty close to the purple the Phoenician's are famous for, made from murex molluscs.

Egon

The last one is my favorite, the eye goes all over the picture and not just the top half like all the others or just drawn to the middle.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
I also am having this indecisive problem that you guys speak of.
Lets see if you can help me cure it.

IMGP8204.jpg

IMGP7646.jpg

IMGP7649.jpg

I'll leave it on those three. Hyper can choose the one she think is best. See you guys in a week.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited: