Photoshop

oscaryu1

VIP Member
So I was wondering where to start out with Photoshop? What type/kind, tutorials ect? And get to the point where I can make cool avatars for myself? Thanks!

PS - where is an cheap copy of Photoshop sold at?

Cupcakke

I was in the same place you were when i first started. I had no experience and sucked hard at it. I typed in Photoshop Tutorials in google and came up with about a million websites. All of which had something useful. Personally i like starting from scratch and making something out of it with the use of filters, renders, etc and they are everywhere on the net. I bought a book for CS2... and honestly havent used it much. tutorials with step by step instructions are they way to go.

Are you attending school by chance? or know someone who is? I go to UW in WA and I get a student discount from all that software.

epidemik

google photoshop tutorials and youll find googles of them :D

I use to use tutorialoutpost.com but i havent used it in a while so im not sure if its still a good site. Eventually, youll get used to filters n stuff and wont need to follow tutorials and can mix all the skills together. Its not nearly as hard as it seems, just takes a little bit of dedication at first.

nexolus

Do not use filters except for Blur and Sharpen. Maybe messing around with them is okay and if you use one and then make it so you can't tell it was used then that's okay. Never use lens flare ever. All of the other filters will make you a crappy designer. There are no real designers out there who use them. Go to any art/design website and see if you can spot any filters...

tincan

Search for gimp. it is a free program that is 98% the same as photoshop. I have used both photoshop at work and gimp at home. It works great.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You can always download the trial version of photoshop and mess around with it for a month, then decide whether you really want it or not.

Cupcakke

Do not use filters except for Blur and Sharpen. Maybe messing around with them is okay and if you use one and then make it so you can't tell it was used then that's okay. Never use lens flare ever. All of the other filters will make you a crappy designer. There are no real designers out there who use them. Go to any art/design website and see if you can spot any filters...

...As to the best of my knowledge he isnt putting his artwork on art/design websites. You arent BORN knowing how to use Photoshop. It gives you a nice feel of some sort of things you can do at a BEGINNERS level. They do some neatthings so I would recommend playing around with them. As for GIMP, i have no idea :( sorry.