PhysX on an AMD board

kyleswitch

Quick question (well I hope it is). Im using the Asus 890gx and was wondering if running an Nvidia card (gtx 570 for example) with a dedicated physX card (gtx 260) would be okay. Im not saying SLI on an AMD board which most people think Im talking about. Im saying can I have a Nvidia card and dedicated PhysX card on my AMD board.

Reasons: I would save a boat load of money and I would like to upgrade without having to sell the gtx 260.

Thanks in advance :good:

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
es it will work just fine.

The only time that AMD + Physx doesn't work is you you have an AMD (or ATi) card in there too. As soon as the Nvidia software finds an ATi card, it shuts off Physx, so long as you don't have an ATi GPU (you may have to disable onboard video if your board has it), it will work no problems

kyleswitch

es it will work just fine.

The only time that AMD + Physx doesn't work is you you have an AMD (or ATi) card in there too. As soon as the Nvidia software finds an ATi card, it shuts off Physx, so long as you don't have an ATi GPU (you may have to disable onboard video if your board has it), it will work no problems

Cool thank you. Yea, I know there are hacked drivers for AMD + PhysX, but I don't want to deal with that.

Should I disable the onboard video through the Bios? Never have had a nice board like this.

Edit: my board runs at x16 or x8x8. Will PhysX make it run at x8x8 or leave the main card at x16?

Last edited:

CardboardSword

I would think it would make both slots run at 8x. However the performance difference is negligible between 8x and 16x. Something like a 3% decrease.

Russ88765

Don't you need the same chipset if you run multiple cards(you hinted at a 570 and a 260)? Far as physx cards go, i've been told to use at least a gtx460 otherwise you won't notice the enhancement. I would think you could download piss old drivers to run an hd5770+gtx460 or other similar combos, because nvidia didn't add that lockout until the 186 drivers and up. Look for 185 if you're gonna fight the power.

SslagleZ28

Don't you need the same chipset if you run multiple cards(you hinted at a 570 and a 260)? Far as physx cards go, i've been told to use at least a gtx460 otherwise you won't notice the enhancement. I would think you could download piss old drivers to run an hd5770+gtx460 or other similar combos, because nvidia didn't add that lockout until the 186 drivers and up. Look for 185 if you're gonna fight the power.

im pretty sure you only need the same chipset if you are going for a crossfire or sli setup.... when you have a dedicated physx card its not connected to the other card

Aastii

VIP Member

im pretty sure you only need the same chipset if you are going for a crossfire or sli setup.... when you have a dedicated physx card its not connected to the other card

Spot on. If the cards are running independantly, they will work no matter what models. If they are working together (SLI or crossfire), they must be the same or similar (in come circumstances) chips

kyleswitch

Thanks for all the feedback.

So with a gtx 260 as a dedicated physX card in x8, what other card, as the main, would be an improvement. Im assuming a gtx 460 1gb would be fine, and a gtx 470 would be more than enough.

Im running a AMD 555 with one extra core unlocked @ 3.7, monitor is a 23 inch. So i dont need much, wont ever hook it up to a tv (32inch flat screen almost ruined my vision =P )

Aastii

VIP Member
Thanks for all the feedback.

So with a gtx 260 as a dedicated physX card in x8, what other card, as the main, would be an improvement. Im assuming a gtx 460 1gb would be fine, and a gtx 470 would be more than enough.

Im running a AMD 555 with one extra core unlocked @ 3.7, monitor is a 23 inch. So i dont need much, wont ever hook it up to a tv (32inch flat screen almost ruined my vision =P )

That would be plenty, heck, even without the GTX260, it would be plenty

kyleswitch

Sounds Good to me.

Would the corsair 850hx be fine for a gtx 260 and gtx 470? sounds a little low on the watts but the single rail seems stable.

Im only running 1 hard drive, but im adding 2 more soon, I know these can ramp up the power req.