physx

lincsman

Hi there, I ran 3D mark on my computer, and the test that was for testing physics on the graphics card was around 13 fps on average. When it tested both pshyics and graphics using the CPU also, it scored a lot higher like 50 fps. Anyways yeah I have heard of using a secondary video card for physics. I'm wondering if this is possible? And if so, how would I go about doing it? Thanks.

tylerjrb

In the nvidia panel you can change it. It will say under SLI settings something like dedicated physX. Normally it is set to the cpu but if you had a second card (doesn't have to be the same), you could set that card to be dedicated to physX.

beers

Staff member
There are a pretty few amount of games that support PhysX anyway, but as above you could get some other cheapy nVidia card and configure that to be the dedicated PhysX card.

Something like a used GT640 would be a decent bet.

Edit: Here's an article comparing a few of the 6xx series in Borderlands and Fluidmark
http://1pcent.com/?p=169

Last edited:

kdfresh09

NOOO, the physics test IS NOT THE SAME as physX. nvidia is exclusive for physX...while physics is a test that is designed to be tested on cpu's. the physX used in borderlands and fliudmark, are physx tests, not physics tests...there are huge differences with the 2.

beers

Staff member
NOOO, the physics test IS NOT THE SAME as physX. nvidia is exclusive for physX...while physics is a test that is designed to be tested on cpu's. the physX used in borderlands and fliudmark, are physx tests, not physics tests...there are huge differences with the 2.

Good call, I pretty much just read the title :p

In things like 3DMark Vantage it would actually invalidate your score when GPU PhysX acceleration was utilized.