PhysX?

sniperchang

So what's this PhysX card i've been hearing about? Is it a add-in card (PCI) that helps graphics card on physics (like cloth, explosions, smoke,etc.). Or something else?

(I hope this is in the right section)

Geoff

VIP Member
One of the most well known game is GRAW (Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare), but right now games dont take full advantage of it, so it doesnt improve gameplay a whole lot (and worsens it in some games). It also doesnt add much more to the game.

So it's not worth getting now, but in a few months im sure it will be worth getting.

Geoff

VIP Member
monkeysims said:
from what i hear, all that its doing right now is slowing down most games
Mostly it does, but a few games it makes it perform slightly better, and others theres no difference.

fade2green514

its got nothing to do with graphics. it allows the calculation of physics.. like locations of objects such as hands fingers, smoke, particles... etc...
it's going to relieve a lot of stress from the cpu... because just as GPU's are specialized for graphics (relieving the cpu from that stress) physx cards will do the same for physics. no games currently support physx cards... but soon :)

mrjack

VIP Member
And PCI-E versions will be arriving in the future, can't remember if it was 1x or 4x, cause I have a feeling it was 4x. But I might be wrong about the PCI-E slot speed.

m0nk3ys1ms

mrjack said:
And PCI-E versions will be arriving in the future, can't remember if it was 1x or 4x, cause I have a feeling it was 4x. But I might be wrong about the PCI-E slot speed.

ill have to keep that in mind for when i get a new system

Geoff

VIP Member
Derik75 said:
So would you run a PCI-E graphics card along side a PCI-E PhysX card?
Most likely it would be in the PCI-E x1 or PCI-E x4 slot, but yes you would have both of them together in different slots.

Geoff

VIP Member
sniperchang said:
Think there will be an OS in the future that will take full adventage of the PhysX Card? That would be cool.
It applies more towards 3D Games, since if the OS had physics, it wouldnt be anything that the CPU couldnt handle.

And the major reason whey PhysX doesnt do so well now is because games dont take full advantage of it yet, also because it's the first card of it's kind.

reedbananaboat

$300 for 3-4 fps better on the cellfactor demo.

no thanks in my opinion the pci bus is too bandwidth limited to support anything in regards to physics not to mention thousands of any type of info.

i belive i saw performance like this from the pentium 2 line. even plugged in the same way.

hehe i made myself laugh

IM NOT A STUPID IDIOT EITHER.
seriously i belive that the physx card has major potential in at least an agp bus but the ols pci slot no way. right now at this point in time the dual sli physics from nvidia on an X16 slot might have better performance. what good is what was it like 122 million transistors gonna do on an old pci slot.

everyone said the same thing about video card when they first came out they plugged into pci slots. we have since found out otherwise.

Last edited:

Livzz

at the moment i have a free PCIe slot, so when the games start taking full advantage of the Physx cards, is it worth spending about US$300 on a PCIe phyx card??

i'm thinking (if i can save up enough money...) that in a few months, (most likely a year) then i'll sell my 7800, get a dual GPU card like the 7950 GT2 (directx 10 equivelant) and a physx card...

Last edited:

fade2green514

reedbananaboat said:
$300 for 3-4 fps better on the cellfactor demo.

no thanks in my opinion the pci bus is too bandwidth limited to support anything in regards to physics not to mention thousands of any type of info.

i belive i saw performance like this from the pentium 2 line. even plugged in the same way.

hehe i made myself laugh

IM NOT A STUPID IDIOT EITHER.
seriously i belive that the physx card has major potential in at least an agp bus but the ols pci slot no way. right now at this point in time the dual sli physics from nvidia on an X16 slot might have better performance. what good is what was it like 122 million transistors gonna do on an old pci slot.

everyone said the same thing about video card when they first came out they plugged into pci slots. we have since found out otherwise.
well, it doesnt need to communicate with the system that much... its just an accelerator for the CPU, its not like a video card where its got system requirements... its just helping the cpu by relieving some stress and calculating the physics instead of making the cpu do it.
also, the performance and physics quality in games will probably quadruple very soon, and physx cards (or something of the sort) will be necessary in order to play some games. of course, there will be lower quality settings to match a cpu's strength but these physx cards can calculate physics around 32 times faster than a dual core cpu can. (or will be able to in the near future)
prices are so high right now because its a want not a need lol.

Geoff

VIP Member
The data goes from the cpu, then to the physics card, then to the graphics card. So there actually is quite a bit of information being transmitted in between. I also think that the PCI bus is a major limiting factor here.