Pic of HTPC I just built

daniel_cantrell

Just put this together...All new stuff.....This is in our bedroom....Haven't had a chance to organize the bookshelves after moving everything around :eek: Will post more info if anyones interested.....

Last edited:

daniel_cantrell

Sweet, what hardware does it have? I also just put one together for my parents just last month.

I didn't beef it up too much,just enough under the hood to watch movies and maybe create some DivX and stuff....I got it all from Newegg....Except the 37" Vizio and the entertainment center,which came from Walmart of course...

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/TemporaryWishList.aspx?ChangeQty=0

Should have took the extra I spent on the extra 2 gigs of ram I didn't need and put it toward a better video card but it was only 20 bucks after the rebate and it does a pretty good job for a cheap skate like me.....Will be looking for a better GPU down the road but it will work for now...I guess the real reason I got it is I have another HTPC in the other end of the house for the kids and it has a lower end card in it that does a pretty good job also and this card has an HDMI port so I just used the cable that came with the TV.... And I know this isn't much of a HHD but I have 4 computers on-line in my home with plenty of storage as well as external storage...The keyboard and mouse could have better range but you get what you pay for.....Oh, already had the 360....

Last edited:

spearlymatt

I had the same video card, but sent it back. Just before it arrived my motherboard went bad, and I just took out all of the components and didn't bother replacing it, so I sent the card back. I may buy it again though, does it perform ok?

And how is the processor, also? I've been thinking of using that for my next build . . . .

daniel_cantrell

I had the same video card, but sent it back. Just before it arrived my motherboard went bad, and I just took out all of the components and didn't bother replacing it, so I sent the card back. I may buy it again though, does it perform ok?

And how is the processor, also? I've been thinking of using that for my next build . . . .

The card seems fine; unless something happens to it I don't currently see any reason to replace it. Seems to do a good job on the 37" with 720p at 1366 x 768 resolution...But I only game on the 360 so I can't say how it would do for gaming,but being a lower end card I have my ideas...And as far as the CPU it does a fine job working with video , as long as your not running multiple monitors doing 3 or 4 video editing projects at the same time for money or something....I can encode video and run a malware scan at the same time with a little room to spare and not worry about things getting hung up....And thats at factory settings,not OCed...

gamerman4

Aesthetics:
- I would tie/tape the wires to the back of the metal beams holding the TV.
- Buy/paint black bookshelves. Actually just get rid of the bookshelves unless you really need all of those books. Get a small shelf for the needed books and put the rest in a closet. Better yet, get a drawer that you can put your books in and keep them out of sight.
- Move the sub somewhere else, subs are non-directional so it doesn't really matter where they are, under a bed is a good place provided you have the room.
- Assuming that black thing on the front right corner is the wireless mouse receiver, put it out of sight.
- Burn that green rug in the corner of the picture.

Technical:
- You will probably want a bigger HDD if you use it as a DVR
- Look into a program called MediaPortal, it is an excellent Media Center program.
- Get a nice digital TV Tuner if you plan on connecting it to your Cable/Satellite TV. Most have decent remote controls.

why did you buy such good stuff, i wouldnt think you would need that much power for a computer your using for tv lol

daniel_cantrell

Aesthetics:
- I would tie/tape the wires to the back of the metal beams holding the TV.
- Buy/paint black bookshelves. Actually just get rid of the bookshelves unless you really need all of those books. Get a small shelf for the needed books and put the rest in a closet. Better yet, get a drawer that you can put your books in and keep them out of sight.
- Move the sub somewhere else, subs are non-directional so it doesn't really matter where they are, under a bed is a good place provided you have the room.
- Assuming that black thing on the front right corner is the wireless mouse receiver, put it out of sight.
- Burn that green rug in the corner of the picture.

Technical:
- You will probably want a bigger HDD if you use it as a DVR
- Look into a program called MediaPortal, it is an excellent Media Center program.
- Get a nice digital TV Tuner if you plan on connecting it to your Cable/Satellite TV. Most have decent remote controls.

Thanks for the interest and feedback my friend...Like I said,this is in our bedroom and I got it like this for convenience more than appearance.....And still not finished.....

Last edited:

daniel_cantrell

why did you buy such good stuff, i wouldnt think you would need that much power for a computer your using for tv lol

Well theres not much further down you could go with-out going back into the single-core arena and I do enough video editing I didn't want to do that...;) And I have plenty of room for upgrading in the future...A Q6600 would be nice one day if I ever find myself in the need of one....