Pick a video card for me

Jamin43

banned
I'm not looking for high end gaming - I'd be fine with an onboard Video Card as my first build right now - but the i7 MOBO's don't seem to have any on board video cards. Hence, I have to pick a video card from the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048 4026&name=$50 - $75

I'm building on a budget - so price sensitive. Since I'm being forced to buy a Video Card with the i7 - I figure I should at least consider somewhat gaming in it's purchase. I figured the 50-75.00 range is about the highest I'd like to go for this component. If I try gaming on lower settings and want a better gaming experience ultimately - I can upgrade later - without being out too much coin on the first card.

* Definitely want to be able to watch a Movie on 1 monitor when I'm multi-tasking on the other.
* If there's a good card for 50 bucks or less, I'm all over that
* If there's a card with a game included - bonus
* If there's a particular brand of card / or specific technology in this price range that I should " DEFINITELY " - I'd love to know what they are.

I don't know squat about Video cards = what brand - or what technology is worth it's salt today re: Video card. So welcome any and all opinions from those who are more " in the know " on this topic. If you've got a recommendation - if you please let me know why so I can make an informed decision re: what I ultimately purchase.

Thanks

Jamin43

banned
If someone forced me to put a low end card in my high end build,
I would choose this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150373

Thanks. I was looking for some reviews of that card on NewEgg - but they didn' thave any new ones I could look at. Under the same XFS - How does this card compare to the one you posted? Simliar - lower - or higher quality?

XFX PVT96OZDFU GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150340

It's a bit more upfront - but comes with 20.00 rebate and WOW - Call of Duty games OEM free of charge? Puts it at the $70.00 mark ( + $50.00 worth of games ) with a little wait.

Bodaggit23

GeForce 9600 GT
Core Clock 650MHz
Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type DDR3

GeForce 9600 GSO
Core Clock 580MHz
Memory Clock 800MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2

I would still choose the GT.

lion149

The 9600gso because its not "recertified" and it would be cheaper if you sold the games in theory...

Jamin43

banned
GeForce 9600 GT
Core Clock 650MHz
Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type DDR3

GeForce 9600 GSO
Core Clock 580MHz
Memory Clock 800MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2

I would still choose the GT.

I'm still evaluating this component - still contemplating bumping my video card budget up a little.

So for Video card performance evaluation - the above listed stats are the most relevant to chip evaluation?

Also, is there any particular brand or brands that are pretty much reliable / good C.S. if getting a faulty product? So I can choose that brand of whatever chip technology I decide on. I'm assuming XFX is a reliable brand based on what I've read so far? Any others?

Thanks

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The 9600 GT would be your best bet in that price range. Any reason why you want an i7 rig?

Jamin43

banned
Any reason why you want an i7 rig?

My current PC is 2 Pentium 4's at one desk - b/c I can't multitask em. I could have probably gotten by with a Dual Core CPU - but really wanted a quad core. When I started adding in case / PSU / MOBO / and Operating System - I didn't want to rebuild a PC again in 3 years. That left me with the Phenom II AM3 or i7 Platform where I could build in a new Socket - and get one more drop in one CPU upgrade before I moved onto socket for another full build.

I was looking at the Phenom II 940 AM2+ / and the Phenom II 955 / then I saw the i7 Chip went on sale for 200.00. That put me over the edge. Everything I've read - is it's a leap ahead of the Phenom II in multi-tasking - and competes on par with the AMD in Gaming.

IT looked like I was getting a nice jump in performance between the 955 and i7 for a little difference in price. The MOBO is the only thing really pushing the price up - as the CPU is actually Cheaper than the phenom for me.