picture file details when publishing online

henry22

Hi.

I have a question regarding the detailed info on a .jpeg file that I can see on my pc when I look at properties.
under the tab "details" at the end I get up the information of "owner" and "computer"
When publishing a picture e.g. on ebay or such, will this detailed information "follow" the picture if another user downloads the picture from website?

in other words: will it be possible to see the "owner" and "computer" information or will this not be possible?

thx

Hi.

I have a question regarding the detailed info on a .jpeg file that I can see on my pc when I look at properties.
under the tab "details" at the end I get up the information of "owner" and "computer"
When publishing a picture e.g. on ebay or such, will this detailed information "follow" the picture if another user downloads the picture from website?

in other words: will it be possible to see the "owner" and "computer" information or will this not be possible?

thx

It may well be possible. You can just alter the files attributes in the properties Window though usually.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It depends. Some upload services strip out EXIF data. It's not like anything contained in there is a security risk though.

EDIT: After testing my theory on eBay, eBay strips it and puts a bunch of garbage in there.

henry22

atributes

thx.

what attributes do I need to put on the file to prevent anyone that is downloading to see this info?
only allow "read" and deny the rest?
If read only attribute is set, will they be able to open the "properties" of the file or is this locked?
If not locked, they are still only reading when looking at the "owner" and "user" info, in other words no attribute can prevent the information?

I am using my workcomputer and I don't want anyone to believe there is a connection between a well known company name and the items I am selling.
The computer name and user have company name in the "owner" and the "user" information on the .jpg

mr.doom

thx.

what attributes do I need to put on the file to prevent anyone that is downloading to see this info?
only allow "read" and deny the rest?
If read only attribute is set, will they be able to open the "properties" of the file or is this locked?
If not locked, they are still only reading when looking at the "owner" and "user" info, in other words no attribute can prevent the information?

I am using my workcomputer and I don't want anyone to believe there is a connection between a well known company name and the items I am selling.
The computer name and user have company name in the "owner" and the "user" information on the .jpg

The best thing is to strip out the info manually. It doesn't matter if you give the file a "read only" attribute, as when you upload that file to an internet service, the server will give it attributes of their own. I would suggest you refrain from using your work PC to do your sales, as the EXIF data are only the smallest part of how you can associate your account with the company you work for. Think IP addresses and so on are much more useful. It is so easy to track the IP address, that anyone could do that just by googling for the IP check websites. This is what you should worry about, not the exif data.

henry22

ip

hi.
I only use my own private internet connection when uploading sales.
but I use the company laptop.

Is there other safety issues I should consider besides the ip adress?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Would something like Chrome Incognito Help?
Woo...700 Posts!

No that just keeps your browser from keeping records of where you go. We're talking about information stored in the picture details, such as this:

This is a plugn I use for Firefox to view Exif data (FXIF Viewer).

clipboard01iml.jpg