Pimp my ride..er..first computer build

yaMI pleHouY

So I have some extra cash( Let's just go with $1,400 or $1,500ish) and I need a computer. I'll be primarily using it for games, but there is a possibility of some video editing. Really the video editing isn't very important, so if the machine I build isn't the best for it, then oh well. No tears here. I have some stuff picked out, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I cheated by just taking examples from the 101's, but I actualy picked some if out myself. Go me. Anyways. Tell me if anything sucks. All of these prices are from price watch and are USD.

AMD Athlon64 3800+ -$327.98
Giga-Byte K8NF-9 939 - $98
Corsair PC3200 DDR 1GB Kit 400MHz Value Select Memory Retail (2x 512MB) -$84
Maxtor MaXLine III 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer -$149
Geforce 6800GT PCI-E 256MB -$328
Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 Value -$43
LiteOn 52x32x52x16 SOHC-5236K -$38
Ultra X-Connect 500W Modular -$87.99
LOGISYS Special Edition DRACULA Black/Silver Case -$90.99
AOC International 17inch FLAT CRT -$117

Total Cost -$1368.95

yaMI pleHouY

XHotxEx791

Don't forget AC5, nor windows if you need it. You might want to invest in a better motherboard, such as the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135 and get the 3700+ San Diego instead of the 3800+. Also, this psu Rosewill RV450 ATX 450W Power Supply 100-120 vrms or 200-240 vrms switch-selectable CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL-40 might do the trick

j0hn00

I'll look at it, but I've read some stuff which says that the maxtor will outperform that Western Digital.
I've never used Maxtor, but you'll hear complaints from many of their users, whereas few from Western Digital users.

That is a writer.
No it isn't... it's a combo drive.

yaMI pleHouY

j0hn00 said:
I've never used Maxtor, but you'll hear complaints from many of their users, whereas few from Western Digital users.
Ok, as I said, I'll look into it. I'm still researching everything I have picked out. :)

j0hn00 said:
No it isn't... it's a combo drive.
Well crap, I had one that was dvd writer too.....I must have accidently copy/pasted the wrong thing. I want one that is both dvd-r and cd-r. I guess perhaps I'll look at the one you told me of. Thanks.

Geoff

VIP Member
i have a seagate 80GB sata, and i have to say, it sucks. I cant even use it anymore. I have a western digital now.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
i have a seagate 80GB sata, and i have to say, it sucks. I cant even use it anymore. I have a western digital now.

Whats wrong with the seagate one, i thought they made drives that last like 5 years longer than everyone eleses??

Charlie7940

I can tell you've never used a Maxtor. I've had Maxtor HDD's all my life no problems. I can go running my mouth about how they are better than Western Digital but I'm not going to since I wouldn't know as I've never used one. You shouldn't base your opinions based on other peoples bad experience. I would personally go with the better value.

Seagate HDD's do not suck. You've had a bad experience with them.

j0hn00

Where'd that come from? Seagate is just as good as Western Digital... and has a longer 5 year warranty on their drives. You should have just sent it back.

j0hn00

I can tell you've never used a Maxtor. I've had Maxtor HDD's all my life no problems. I can go running my mouth about how they are better than Western Digital but I'm not going to since I wouldn't know as I've never used one. You shouldn't base your opinions based on other peoples bad experience. I would personally go with the better value.
But if you don't have any personal experience with a product, what else would you base it on? I was only trying to make a point that I've run into far more Maxtor users that complain about their products as opposed to Western Digital.