Ping spikes and brief moments of lag on pc

Eric4753

So when my internet was upgraded from 6 mbps to 12 mbps, they had to use two dsl lines. This and something else gives me random ping spikes. The only thing I could find to fix it was using this LINK . However, now the issue is persisting again, I will get random drops almost every match now. Now my desktop is connected to the Wifi since I cannot reach the router/modem with an ethernet cord. The modem/router are at the opposite corner of my house and on the bottom level. (They can't be moved since that is where the phone lines etc come in at.) So I hooked a extender which is one floor above it and I am connected to that extender. So is there something I can do about the ping spikes? Also why is that by typing those commands in, it will somewhat fix that problem? Can I fix the issue myself or?

beers

Staff member
Now my desktop is connected to the Wifi
So I hooked a extender
That introduces its own set of problems. The extender is very strongly considered as a primary culprit for this performance behavior. Extenders are fairly garbage as they rebroadcast on the same channel, creating a lot of CSMA/CA delays.

If you can make it into a wired access point mode, that would help. If you have a lot of wifi networks from your neighbors then these would still be problems. The ideal solution would be to use wired, or dual band equipment on the 5 GHz UNII band.