Planning on building a pc...

Hello. So i am planning on building a gaming/streaming computer. On "pcpartpicker" site and with some googling i came across this. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/njkKdX . I would like suggestions if there are better choices of parts.
And can someone explain compatability thing. it says "The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." I don't understand this at all. TY!

Darren

Staff member
Basically that's just saying that the M.2 slot shares it's connection to everything else with a SATA port, meaning you can use one or the other but not both. This is common, my board is the same way. M.2 is usually used for an SSD and most motherboards come with at least 4-6 SATA ports so this isn't going to be an issue unless you planned to use every single port on the board for a bunch of drives.

As far at the build. 32GB is overkill, 16GB is plenty for gaming and streaming. Can always add more later.

Your case and motherboard are both pretty low end compared to the rest. I'd spend the money on a better case, you can still get really good ones under 100 bucks and you'll be happier you did both for making the build easier to do and future upgradeability. PSU is overkill for any single graphics card setup. A 600 watt EVGA or Corsair would be good. Motherboard is pretty entry level but unless you plan to overclock probably fine. Thermal paste is a waste of money, cooler likely comes with its own anyway.

For streaming a Ryzen platform would serve you better anyway.

I would like to try AMD but i never had any experience with it so i am a bit scared.
Now about the case- I don't really care about its looks tbh i was trying to find a case without the window since the table i have currently is very bad and you can't see the sides of the computer at all.
About RAM- I know that 32 gigs of ram are overkill, but i am still sticking to it.
Now about the mobo- does this mobo effect the performance? If so what should i get?

Darren

Staff member
Are you overclocking? If not the board is fine.

Case is personal preference. I've used that specific one before and it was fine but spending an extra 20+ dollars will get you a much higher quality unit.

Nope, i am not a fan of overclocking.
So this Computer should be good enough to play games like cod bo4 and stream at the same time?

beers

Staff member
If you live next to a microcenter the ryzen 1700x is ridiculously cheap right now (like $130) and I'd suggest that instead.

Otherwise seems 'okay', I'd drop one of the ram kits for a better case though as per above. It's weird trusting $1300 of components into a low-end $30 case to me. If you really want 32g I'd just suggest getting one 2x16g kit so you still have room to expand later.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with others, you are wasting money on a second kit, 16gb of ram will be plenty for the gaming and streaming. You won't be doing anything memory intensive anyway.