Plastic between heatsync?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hmm... Strange. My laptop's been getting pretty warm all over so I decided it may be time to reapply some thermal past to it. Once I got the cooler removed, I found there was this plastic stuff between the processor and the copper. It's almost like something that's removed before you apply the heatsync :confused: I removed it, cleaned all the crud off the copper and now have some nice off-brand Arctic Silver applied. My temps feel about the same and hold around 49*C in PC Wizard. Realize it has gotten up to about 56*C in the past under normal use.

I think my biggest problem now is the heat produced from the wifi :p

bumblebee_tuna

I don't know if you remember but back when the Xbox 360 came out, a bunch of people's systems were overheating. An ametuer hacker found out that Microsoft forgot to remove the protective seal on the thermal paste and Microsoft made a lot of recalls.

Can you post some pics?

JamesBart

yeah im having some mad temps in my laptop. 77 at the mo. whats all this about the hacker? have you got a link to that article?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
yeah.. the laptop im using gets VERY hot in my lap... cuz the CPu is right on my lap.. and it gets to 70+ when browsing the internet.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
post pics of me working on the laptop? I was going to but I was feeling so freaking sick I didn't feel like running back down to get my camera. I can get a pic of the plastic if that's what you mean...but later ;P

I don't know if you remember but back when the Xbox 360 came out, a bunch of people's systems were overheating. An ametuer hacker found out that Microsoft forgot to remove the protective seal on the thermal paste and Microsoft made a lot of recalls.

Can you post some pics?

Ooh, Microsoft just took a low blow on that one.

Have you thought about a cooler that some way goes on the bottom of the laptop and blows air into the components? I've heard talk of those.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Have you thought about a cooler that some way goes on the bottom of the laptop and blows air into the components? I've heard talk of those.
Worthless! I actually have one but its fans counteract the fan on my laptop, thus making it hotter!

plasticsp6.jpg

bumblebee_tuna

what the hell is that :confused:

Basically, think of it as a two sided sticker with thermal grease as the adhesive of which they slap one side onto the heatsink and, when they're ready, peel back the other, exposing the thermal grease. And, apparently, they for got to peel of the protective plastic on it.........

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yeah, I kinda figured it wasn't suppose to be there, but the temps aren't much if any better without it. Oh well, it's gone now :p

The_Other_One

VIP Member
stick something small underneath it at the back to allow for extra ventilation theres not a whole lot else you can do.
Dude, I've been doing that since I first purchased the machine :p

And yeah, kinda a sudden increase. But oddly enough, it's around the wifi...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Laptop_Heat.jpg

What in the world...? Haha, I'm running some burn in tests on my laptop. I figured that might help set the new thermal paste. So far, the processor's sitting at 43*C, even locked at full 1.6GHz and running two burn in tests.

And congrats to anyone who can guess why I have that Dr Pepper bottle on my dresser. And no, it's not just any ol' empty one.

As for that 360 example, that appears to be a type of metal, which I have seen before. What I have is just plastic...

Last edited:

Chris Chan

Hahahaaaaaaa... is that average Averatec QC? Thanks for tipping us off to that - I was maybe thinking of getting an Averatec lappy. Now I know what to check for.

bumblebee_tuna

Ramune from Japan.........

I get one once a year when I get my New Year mochi.......

Edit: Oops, thought you were talking about the other bottles........

Last edited: