chrisfreez
New Member
I am going to build or buy a new computer within a month. My present computer is an Intel P4 1.7Ghz - 512MB ram running the full version of XP with service pak 2. I built it when the P4 first came out. Replaced the PC board after 3 years. No other trouble and it is reasonably fast. No trouble with speed or operation. But the board is old and I cannot upgrade much on my Ram. So time for a new one.
I read many threads of people having trouble with Vista being really slow. But many of these people have lap tops. And I know that many lap tops do not have their own Video card unless you spend a small fortune. And most Lap tops do not have 6 or 8 GB's of ram either. My new desk top wll have its own video card (512MB) and 6 to 8 GB ram.
How is Vista with 6 to 8 GB of ram with an Intel Q6600 processor. I do a lot of photography using a Nikon D200-10 MP (buying a D700 too - 12MP FF). I know I will need a lot more speed when batch Post Proceessing 12MP files with a 35 mm sensor, so will the Vista or XP SP2 be better. With Vista do I get 64 bit processing with home addition.
I would rather go with Vista. It has been out for a year or more, and XP although great is reaching its end. I hate to build a new computer using a very old Operating system.
I read many threads of people having trouble with Vista being really slow. But many of these people have lap tops. And I know that many lap tops do not have their own Video card unless you spend a small fortune. And most Lap tops do not have 6 or 8 GB's of ram either. My new desk top wll have its own video card (512MB) and 6 to 8 GB ram.
How is Vista with 6 to 8 GB of ram with an Intel Q6600 processor. I do a lot of photography using a Nikon D200-10 MP (buying a D700 too - 12MP FF). I know I will need a lot more speed when batch Post Proceessing 12MP files with a 35 mm sensor, so will the Vista or XP SP2 be better. With Vista do I get 64 bit processing with home addition.
I would rather go with Vista. It has been out for a year or more, and XP although great is reaching its end. I hate to build a new computer using a very old Operating system.