Please check my hardware list for my first PC build!

TreeHobo7

First of all, thanks for even viewing this thread, second of all I need to make absolutely sure that this hardware list is compatible. I also will be installing Ubuntu for the first time, any tips?
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

EVGA 02G-P4-3757-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 FTW w/ ACX Cooling Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

PNY Anarchy 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD8GSD316009AB

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

Sorry for the text format, got it from newegg. Again, thanks for any help or tips!

Darren

Staff member
It's compatible but you'd be foolish to get an AMD build right now. The AM3+ socket is way out of date by this point and their new processors are coming out later this year. I'd suggest going with an Intel based build so you have some upgradeability or if you're deadset on AMD for some reason just wait a little while. Do you have a specific budget?

TreeHobo7

My budget is around $500, hence the choice of AMD, as I have heard you can get cheap processors that work great for the price.

beers

Staff member
I remember buying an 8350, in 2012.

If you live near a Microcenter they have some cheap combos. Are you set on building ASAP or could wait a month or two? You'd get a lot more for your money via 1151 or AM4

TreeHobo7

I have never built a PC and am therefore restless lol.

I could wait a month or 2, but I would like to have something better for around the same price.

Intel is pricey, and like I said, I have around $500 budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

I have never built a PC and am therefore restless lol.

I could wait a month or 2, but I would like to have something better for around the same price.

Intel is pricey, and like I said, I have around $500 budget.

Being 'restless' and making a hasty decision when it comes to computers is one of the dumbest moves you can make. You might as well use that money to light your campfire.

I understand being on a budget, and working within it, but I would highly advise against jumping into an 'old' outdated system now. Wait a bit longer and there will be new stuff available, and deals to be had on other things.

TreeHobo7

Being 'restless' and making a hasty decision when it comes to computers is one of the dumbest moves you can make. You might as well use that money to light your campfire.

I understand being on a budget, and working within it, but I would highly advise against jumping into an 'old' outdated system now. Wait a bit longer and there will be new stuff available, and deals to be had on other things.

I know I know lol! How long do you think I will have to wait? and can I get something the around the price, that is better? And whats wrong with the Asus p8z68? (computer noob here :)

Laquer Head

I know I know lol! How long do you think I will have to wait? and can I get something the around the price, that is better? And whats wrong with the Asus p8z68? (computer noob here :)

I'm not 100% sure on the prices, but when it comes to PC parts you don't want to be going backwards...even on a budget.

The P8Z68 was a decent board but that socket and chipset are ancient now..5 years at least..and it would be foolish to spend money on that platform in 2016.

TreeHobo7

I'm not 100% sure on the prices, but when it comes to PC parts you don't want to be going backwards...even on a budget.

The P8Z68 was a decent board but that socket and chipset are ancient now..5 years at least..and it would be foolish to spend money on that platform in 2016.
Aaahh, thanks man!

Could look for a used Intel CPU/board and that will be better than the 8350.
Can you recommend any good used PC part stores online?

So I revised my build to put a i5 in there, so please check this as well. Thanks!

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

$219.99 Buy
CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

$24.89 Buy
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

$45.99 Buy
Memory
Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

$26.99 Buy
Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

$47.49 Buy
Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card

$93.99 Buy
Case
Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case

$22.99 Buy
Power Supply
Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
Can you recommend any good used PC part stores online?
Amazon.com or Newegg.com if you're in the US.

What kind of games you looking at? The 750 TI is alright, but you'll probably want to upgrade it fairly soon if you're planning to game very heavily. I'd up the power supply to at least a 500, preferably 600 watt, unit so you have some overhead.

TreeHobo7

=
Amazon.com or Newegg.com if you're in the US.

What kind of games you looking at? The 750 TI is alright, but you'll probably want to upgrade it fairly soon if you're planning to game very heavily. I'd up the power supply to at least a 500, preferably 600 watt, unit so you have some overhead.

Not super demanding games, I actually don't know exactly what game range I am looking at, right now in my steam library I have The Bureau: Xcom declassified, maybe max out war thunder, I also wan't planetside 2 to run smooth. And is there a processor that is cheaper but at least a little better that the i5?

Laquer Head

=

Not super demanding games, I actually don't know exactly what game range I am looking at, right now in my steam library I have The Bureau: Xcom declassified, maybe max out war thunder, I also wan't planetside 2 to run smooth. And is there a processor that is cheaper but at least a little better that the i5?

If you dont plan to overclock go for a regular non-K i5

TreeHobo7

Hey! to everyone who has been helping me! My budget has been raised drastically! Yay! I am still going to need help making sure everything is compatible, you guys are great! And what is the deal with the i5 6600k? Should I go for it?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
With $1000 I'd maybe try and aim for the GTX 960 or see if you can afford the new $200 Radeon RX 480 which is due to come out soon. That's going to be one hell of a card for the money!