Please check my hardware list for my first PC build!

Laquer Head

I was thinking about getting the GTX 950 TI.

I wouldn't bother.

Your gonna want something with minimum 4GB and given that the 10-series Nvidia are trickling out to market now, all 9 series will be dropping in price and eventually be phased out as stock disappears.

The GTX1070 and GTX1080 are Nvidias top dogs and a new line from AMD will be hitting the market on the 27th

EDIT:

As for the rest, with a good budget like that, you can assemble a pretty slick i5 Intel Z170 setup, with 16GB DDR4 ram, SSD, and top end graphics

zRetire

I would go for Windows 7 but you should go for Windows 10. I love Windows 7 but it is a pain to keep the Windows 10 update off of the PC.

TreeHobo7

I wouldn't bother.

Your gonna want something with minimum 4GB and given that the 10-series Nvidia are trickling out to market now, all 9 series will be dropping in price and eventually be phased out as stock disappears.

The GTX1070 and GTX1080 are Nvidias top dogs and a new line from AMD will be hitting the market on the 27th

EDIT:

As for the rest, with a good budget like that, you can assemble a pretty slick i5 Intel Z170 setup, with 16GB DDR4 ram, SSD, and top end graphics
Games like the Witcher 3 and GTA V recommend graphics cards like the GTX 770, and even the 660. Isn't waiting for the GTX 10 series a bit overkill?

Last edited:

Laquer Head

So wait until the 27th, and then see what I want?

Well, thats ultimately up to you. If AMD release is anything like Nvidia, don't expect a card to be on store shelves on the 27th, but there is no denying the fact that AMD have aggressively priced their RX480... it really seems like a steal, and even though I'm an Nvidia guy, on a budget build,...the AMD offering is a no brainer!

TreeHobo7

Well, thats ultimately up to you. If AMD release is anything like Nvidia, don't expect a card to be on store shelves on the 27th, but there is no denying the fact that AMD have aggressively priced their RX480... it really seems like a steal, and even though I'm an Nvidia guy, on a budget build,...the AMD offering is a no brainer!
Sorry I edited the question lol.

Laquer Head

Games like the Witcher 3 and GTA V recommend graphics cards like the GTX 770, and even the 660. Isn't waiting for the GTX 10 series a bit overkill?

Right now, due to me donating my video card to a deserving person, I'm running a 750Ti on the backup PC and also a 970M on the laptop, both run GTAV well, 40-50 fps, but most settings at default.

Witcher3 looked like trash on the 750Ti, but on the 970M played very well- albeit at minimum settings.

I'd recommend you wait on the RX480 from AMD or if you cant stomach the 10 series Nvidia prices, look at a 960 or 970 on sale.. Even the 980 and 980Ti are on sale at a few locales here (southern Ontario, Canada) so I'm sure US resellers are offering similar deals, but at US prices..

I wouldnt say the 1080 is overkill for a new build, as it will carry you through for a long, long time..your literally getting on at the ground floor with the 10 series cause they just launched a few weeks ago (May 27 and June 10) for the 1080 and 1070 respectively.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Depending on what resolution you play, a GTX 1080 might be needed. But for most people, the RX 480 for US$200 MSRP is pretty damn impressive. The GTX 1070 seems like the king for 1440p gaming right now without costing you a left kidney like the GTX 1080 is right now.

TreeHobo7

Depending on what resolution you play, a GTX 1080 might be needed. But for most people, the RX 480 for US$200 MSRP is pretty damn impressive. The GTX 1070 seems like the king for 1440p gaming right now without costing you a left kidney like the GTX 1080 is right now.
I got a 1080p monitor picked out, which is why I think I am gonna wait for the RX 480

Darren

Staff member
The RX 480 is the ideal card for you based off what you've described. You should be able to pretty much max out GTA V at 1080p with that card. I have an R9 390 and the 480 is supposed to be at least on par if not faster than the 390. I run GTA V at 1440p on mostly high/max settings at 45-60FPS. 1080p would be like butter for me. Just wait a few weeks. :)

Darren

Staff member
I'd probably want to grab the 8GB version of the RX480 just to be on the safe side.

Agreed. But if the 4GB is the only thing you can afford then it's still a solid choice. I haven't closely monitored my VRAM usage but I don't think I ever really eclipse 4GB of usage on my 390 at 1440p... yet.

Also I'm fairly certain my 45FPS dips in GTA V are from my 8320. Wish I had an Intel chip to see how it actually would perform without a bottleneck. :D

TreeHobo7

Agreed. But if the 4GB is the only thing you can afford then it's still a solid choice. I haven't closely monitored my VRAM usage but I don't think I ever really eclipse 4GB of usage on my 390 at 1440p... yet.

Also I'm fairly certain my 45FPS dips in GTA V are from my 8320. Wish I had an Intel chip to see how it actually would perform without a bottleneck. :D
You think the i5-4460 will do well in conjunction with the RX 480

Intel_man

VIP Member

Does AMD have an equivalent to nvidia's DSR? The extra vram would be very handy with that.