please critique this ~$1000 gaming build

gamefan

New Member
It's been about 3+ years since I built my last pc, and now its time for a new one. Basically I want a gaming pc for about $1000 dollars which will last a few years and keep the option for potential upgrades (video card, processor, ram ect) down the road. This will be a tower build and I don't plan on overclocking ever in the future. ;)

Here's what I got together so far:

MOBO - $130
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor - $200
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Memory - $109
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Graphics card - $270
EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

Power Supply - $90
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Hard Drive - $50
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case - $80
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CD/DVD - $30
LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Grand total: $960

Input wanted! (feel free to point out any compatibility issues or anything else that could be changed/upgraded ect)
 
Last edited:
Sucks. Ok, so im really just jealous :P Looks great, tho i would go for the 285 instead of the 275, matches up your system better, I think. :good:
 
Looks good so long as you already have an OS and some TIM. I like the 6gb/s and usb 3.0 on that board. Nice future proofing. I agree on ditching the blue drive.
 
thanks for the replies! for the OS im thinking windows 7 for sure and im definitely leaning towards the 5850 now.

any particular reason to ditch the 'blue' drive?

also, will the case I picked out be able to adequately accommodate the size of the mobo + graphics card? (my current computer has an nvidia 8800 and it's a TIGHT squeeze)
 
Last edited:
That could be a problem. the 5850 is about 9 1/2" to 10" long. i don't know how long the 8800gt is, so go and measure it. What's blocking the card? if it's a HDD bay you don't use maybe you could mod it (cut it out) so that the card can fit.

If not, just get a 5770 because it's a good 1 1/2" shorter.
 
Back
Top