Please Help! Blue Screen of Death

Drgg

Hi guys

Ive encountered the BSOD and this is the message that comes up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this the first time youve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0×00000024 (0×00190203, 0x833D78C8, 0x C0000102, 0×00000000)

That’s all it says on the BSOD. I have tried restarting it on all modes, but it takes me back to this screen. I dont know what to do.

Can anyone please help me out? Cheers

ElenaP

On another computer, burn a Windows Memory Diagnostic CD (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp). Boot form this CD and perform a memory test on the damaged computer.

Once the memory is tested OK, boot from the Windows installation CD, and run CHKDSK to check the disk. Exact specifics depend on your Windows version.

MMM

Question would be what did you do to the computer before this problem started.
Did you do any hardware changes or software if any.
Could be Hard drive or memory failure.

Drgg

Thanks for the advice.

I tried doing as you said, but i still cant get past the BSOD. I've put Windows Memory Diagnostic onto a disc and put it into my laptop. Nothing happens. There is no prompt from the disc and i am just taken back to BSOD after my laptop starts up.

Any idea on what im doing wrong?

Drgg

I havent made any changes or added any software to my laptop recently.

Could it be that my laptop is just old. I got it back in 2004. It frequently lags for no reason and freezes. And when ever it freezes most of the time i will turn it off from pressing the power button.

I was using it to day with no problems, when my laptop started lagging again as usual, so i pressed the power button to turn it off. When i turned it back on, it took me to where i am now.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice.

I tried doing as you said, but i still cant get past the BSOD. I've put Windows Memory Diagnostic onto a disc and put it into my laptop. Nothing happens. There is no prompt from the disc and i am just taken back to BSOD after my laptop starts up.

Any idea on what im doing wrong?
You likely don't have boot from CD enabled, you can do so in the BOIS. There should be a prompt when you first power on that says press <some key> to enter setup. The key is usually delete or one of the F# keys.
I havent made any changes or added any software to my laptop recently.

Could it be that my laptop is just old. I got it back in 2004. It frequently lags for no reason and freezes. And when ever it freezes most of the time i will turn it off from pressing the power button.

I was using it to day with no problems, when my laptop started lagging again as usual, so i pressed the power button to turn it off. When i turned it back on, it took me to where i am now.
This stop is usually hard drive related, if possible boot into the recovery console (you'll need a windows cd) and run chkdsk /r (as already suggested by elana)

ElenaP

But how the CHKDSK may help to diagnose the problem? Is it show the problem or also solve if any?

If you run CHKDSK /F, it would try to fix whatever problem it finds.
If you just run CHKDSK, it would list the problems it found.

dave10

banned
chkdsk

I also faced same problem with my PC.
It is advisable to check RAM of your system, it can be loose or damage.:cool:
And run chkdsk command

Drgg

Hmm can someone give me a step by step guide as to what i should do, because im not too good with the technical stuff of computers :S

So when i first power up my laptop there is prompt that says press F2 for setup or F12 for boot device selection. Where do i go from there?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The simplest method is to press F12, then pick CDROM from the menu that appears. You should then be prompted to press a key to boot from CD.

The disadvantage to doing it this way is you'll have to press F12 everytime you want to boot from cd. If you press F2 you can configure it to always check the cd when you want to boot (it will skip it if you dont press a key and continue to boot from your hard drive).

Drgg

Still getting the same thing. When i select the option to boot from CD, it just takes me back to screen that asks me to select am mode to start windows (Ie Safe mode etc). Once i choose a mode, it again takes me to the BSOD :S

Anything else i can try?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking you either burned the CD incorrectly or possibly are missing the prompt to boot from it.

If you have a second system you could always install the drive there temporarily and run the chkdsk.