Please help comp screwed. So many blue error screens.

b3n

VIP Member
Every time i start my computer it asks whether to start in Safe Mode, Normal, last good config blah blah. I choose last good config, it gets the to XP pro loading screen then a blue error screen comes and up with saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME....same happens for all the startup options. And i dont have the XP Pro setup cd, so i download the boot stuff off the net and put it on to 6 blank disks as i should. I go to windows setup and put in the first 5 disks when the pc tells me to then after a put the 6th disk in, a blue error screen comes up saying

"STOP: C0000221 hard error systemroot/system32/ntdll.dll"

What do i do now? I cant access the recov console or do anything. :confused: plzplzplz help me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or just plain redo the system ... if its that bad ...odds are you have some seriously messed up stuff in there

b3n

VIP Member
whwhere do i run chkdsk /r???? I cant access any dos screens or anything. And formatting definetly isnt an option.

b3n

VIP Member
I forgot to add that my comp is a laptop. IBM Thinkpad R40. so is that still possible?

magusbuckley

Unfortunately, your problem sounds really bad. You obviously have some messed up windows files, or if your laptop is a bit older, your HD could be giving out on you. Lorand mentions putting your HD in another computer. That may be your only solution, but I would try this before you go to that trouble. Try booting with the XP CD in the drive. Install Windows in a new directory, NOT THE DEFAULT. When the computer boots, you'll have to select which operating system to run. You have basically set up a dual boot system with two of the same operating systems. The OS at the top of the list should be the newly installed one. When the computer comes up, backup the files you need. After the backup, format that HD and reinstall the OS. You may have a bad build, so be sure to download any updates as soon as you get it up and running. If you think your HD is giving out, find a replacement fast and don't trust it with any important data you can't afford to lose.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That could be a solution only if you have no valuable data in the following folders: My Documents, Program Files, Desktop, and, of course, in the Outlook folders, since installing XP will delete the contents of these folders.

b3n

VIP Member
First post :"And i dont have the XP Pro setup cd". If i had the CD i would had have access to the recov console and this mess would be gone.

And i cant put the HD in another comp.

b3n

VIP Member
I dont have another comp to put it in. Is there any way i can boot chkdsk or soemthing straight from a floppy?

b3n

VIP Member
I can boot it to dos BUT i cant change drives(INVALID DRIVE SPECIFIED) and i cant run chkdsk or anything.

b3n

VIP Member
I can boot it to dos BUT i cant change drives from A:(INVALID DRIVE SPECIFIED) and i cant run chkdsk or anything. What i really need is the recovery console:(

b3n

VIP Member
"I can boot it to dos BUT i cant change drives from A: ( INVALID DRIVE SPECIFIED when i try to change to C: ) and i cant run chkdsk or anything. "