Please help!!! Desktop having random lockups!!!

azwebs

The PC this is happening on is just over 3 months old, and not one that I built. It came from PC World, which I knew was a mistake when I got it. It has these specs:
  • Q6600
  • 3GB RAM
  • 9800GTX+
  • 750GB 7.2K

I get random lockups in Windows. The sound repeats where it is, and it's happening to me in CoD4, WaW, Far Cry 2 and Crysis. WTF!?!?!? They all used to play fine (about a week ago) and nothing has changed with any of them (apart from a save in Far Cry 2). After that, my hard drive cannot be used, meaning I have to unplug and restart. Then it happens again (fairly quickly).

It has happened once during file copy, so I am awaiting a new hard drive already (it also clicks). Is the graphics card or software a problem too?? It does seem strange that it is mostly happening in graphics intensive applications???

I am not using my main, because I was making Far Cry 2 and Crysis maps on this one. That is where most crashes happened. I also tried the standard versions too though (not the editors) and installed the Call of Duty games to test.

I am using Home Premium, and have tried system restore and still nothing?

Is this a coincidence or what? Kornowski is also having pretty much the same problem as far as I can gather.

Last edited: