please help me with my heatsink issue.. I have a 15 page paper due Monday.. Can't use pc

cbrocato

Hello,

I have an azza atlas gaming tower, an 8gb ram stick, Intel i5 3.5ghz quad core processor, an azrock z87 pro3 motherboard and I think a nvidia 760?

However, recently the plastic push pins broke on my stock heatsink, this heatsink is 90mm and is compatible with 1155, 1150 and 1156. I am apparently required to use 1150. My CPU was idling at 50 degrees Celsius and when I would try to play a game it would sit at 100.

My question to you all is when searching for a new heatsink, am I limited to just 90mm 1150 heatsinks? Or would a 92mm or even 120mm match up and be capable of being screwed in? I don't want to end up buying a heatsink that doesn't fit, or screw into my motherboard and after hours of endless internet searching with no answers, I am here pleading to you all to teach me the ways of the heatsink so that I never have to feel this frustrated again.

P.S. I'll post pictures of my tower if you'd like and also I have a 15 page paper due Monday that I'm yet to start and this unforeseen circumstance is really putting a strain on my college career at the moment.. So answer away, my friends!

tl;dr I need a new heatsink and I have no idea what to look for and there isn't much good information out there about it, so enlighten me please.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All intel heatsinks from socket 775 on all have pushpin type style. If you buy aftermarket, you usually have to replace the backplate to secure the heatsink, which means removing the motherboard from the case. Just look on newegg for coolers that are compatible with socket 1150. The coolermaster hyper series is the most common.

Darren

Staff member
The size of the current fan in there is irrelevant. You just need something that fits the socket type (1150) and physically has enough space within the case, meaning isn't to tall or interfering with the RAM.

The usual suggestion is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or T4. If you're not planning on overclocking or anything you could get away with something smaller like the T2. Assuming you have space I'd get the T4.

T4
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...=1461883992&sr=8-2&keywords=212+cooler+master

T2
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...d=1461884151&sr=8-1&keywords=t2+cooler+master

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...e=UTF8&qid=1461884174&sr=1-1&keywords=212+evo

cbrocato

I have no problem taking apart my computer, I've done it before so taking off the motherboard wouldn't be an issue.. Just really curious as to whether I could fit roughly 6.25 inches of cooler.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Measure the distance between the cpu and the side of the case so we know what size cooler you can use.

Darren

Staff member
The T4 is 6 inches, 212 is 6.25. I'd go with the T4. Should be a bit easier to mount too.

Could go with the T2 to save money but the T4 should be quieter.

Measure the distance between the cpu and the side of the case so we know what size cooler you can use.

He said 6.25 inches above, so I'm going with that.

cbrocato

The length of the 212 is 6.25 inches.. And although the evo is the biggest one, it has the fastest shipping time

cbrocato

So my cell phone is 6.22 inches without a case on and when I used the to measure, it came no where close to fitting from ram to the back fan and from the motherboard to the top it sits directly under the yellow cord.