Please help me with upgrade

ssal

I built my first desktop about a year ago. I like it a lot, but I believe I have under budgeted on the CPU and GPU.
I use the machine for video editing with Premiere Pro, and Davinci Resolve.

This is my current machine:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4)
Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk

I have an opportunity to upgrade the CPU to the Ryzen 7 3800x.
Can you recommend a compatible GPU for it. Please bear in mind that I don't want to blow the house with the budge.

Please also review if I can use all the other components.

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion its not really worth the extra 10 percent or less you get from 3800X. It may overclock more and you are only getting 200mhz more base clock. But hey, its your money. You may want to think about getting the 3900x. I mean check your cpu and gpu usage when doing the most demanding thing and see where you stand and let us know.

ssal

Bench test seems to suggest the 3800x gets 23500 while the 2700x is 17000. That’s about 30% better, true?

I am still a little sluggish in Davinci Resolve (a resource hoard). When encoding, my cpu maxes out 100% while GPU is at around 50%.

I think the 3800x will be an improvement.

beers

Staff member
3900 would give you a reasonable multicore boost (12c vs 8c plus about 10% IPC), albeit expensive
3800 isn't worth the money over the 2700

ssal

The price bump of the 3900 ($400) is 130+% of the 3800x ($310) too.

Last edited:

ssal

3900 would give you a reasonable multicore boost (12c vs 8c plus about 10% IPC), albeit expensive
3800 isn't worth the money over the 2700
I guess you are right. I should be happy with what I got for now. After all, it performs very well with Premiere Pro, which is my primary video editor. Davinci Resolve is another story, but I use it rarely for some very special situation once in a blue moon. I should not get hung up on it.

I will wait it out another year. Hopefully, by then, there will be better price for the 3900x and the RTX GPU.

Thanks a lot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You dont need a new gpu if it's only at 50 percent usage. Be more concerned when it gets above 80 percent or higher.

ssal

I couldn't resist to pass up the opportunity. I got the new Ryzen 7 3800x in a combo deal that cost me very little money.

I swapped out the 2700x and it runs well.

In video encoding, it is about 13% faster. It is a little smoother in Premiere Pro when I scrubbed the clip. I have yet to test it in Davinci Resolve.

Not a significant improvement. But it is good for me to settle in for a few years and wait for the Intel/AMD race to produce a far different scenario in a a few years.

It seems the 3800x is running a bit hotter than the 2700x by about 7-8°C. The stated tolerance is 95°C. I was pushing 84° when encoding 4K for 10 minutes. Comments please?

ssal

What sort of cooler are you running on that thing?
I've been using the Wraith Prism that came with the CPU. Should I use a more robust cooler and which one would you recommend that doesn't break the house budget?

ssal

Depends on what your house budget is?

What kinda of case are you using as well?
I don’t want to spend too much, maybe around $50. Can you Find something that could lower the temperature by 5c?

The cpu really doesn’t start to throttle until it reaches 95c.

The case is a Cougar MX330. I have added 3 fans in addition to the one on board.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
The Noctua NH-U14S when it goes on sale should be around that price range. You'll have to confirm if your case can fit that cooler though.

Unless you go for the even bigger coolers like the D15, that's probably your best bet.