Please help, My comp won't reconize anything attached to it ?!?

TuboMx5

Hello all,

I was chasing down a problem with my modem, pulling and reconnecting all cables from my computer and modem and router. I finally solved the problem with my modem and now my computer won't reconize anything atached to it. I have a HP 710 desktop that is a few years old. It's running windows xp sp2, 1.6 pentium processor and a 80 gb HD. When i turn on the computer it will boot as normal, and my router see's my comp as connected to my network, for a second while booting up and then it dissapears. The keyboard and mouse do nothing as if they were not connected but my keyboard lights up( as in the num lock and caps are on) . It seems that the computer's ports are not working at all, nothing that i attach to the computer works. Is it possible that i fried the ports(usb,firewire and all others) ? The only thing i can think of is when i reconnected the router's power supply i saw some very minor sparks . Could this have done it ? Is there something i can replace and for cheap ? Please help me as i have all of my work and personnel photos and music in my computer and i haven't had a chance to back them up yet .

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You might try reseting your bios by pulling the cmos battery and setting jumper from pins 2-3 to 1-2 or whatever order it may be. Check your motherboards manual for the correct procedure.

TuboMx5

Well im not really inclined on doing this. I will look for the instruction manual for my mother board and maybe try this. Is it possible that i fried my mother board ? Also how easy is it to replace it ?

penguinrusty

Um, it's pretty easy to replace a mobo, but if you're not comfy with moving a jumper, then you probably wouldn't be comfortale with replacing a motherboard. I remember that I had this same problem when I built my computer, and I went into the BIOS, and I saw that it was set as the keyboard being USB and not PS2. You might try looking through your BIOS settings and seeing what you can find.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible that i fried my mother board ? Also how easy is it to replace it ?
Generally if you did something to fry a motherboard, you'll know (cuz usually it is indeed *that* stupid i.e., spilling a pepsi on it). Replacement shouldnt be too hard ... might be expensive because its an OEM board though