Please Help, My start button not working

paulcheung

Hi guys,

I upgraded my old Asus UL80J laptop to windows 10 from windows 7 last year. it runs fine until last. out of sudden my window start button is not working. I can't going to the programs any more. When I press the left mouse button, nothing happen. I still can right click the mouse and get into the admin tools. is this a virus problem or something else. I think the windows 10 just did a major update.

Thank you in advance.
Paul

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have Avast installed, uninstall it then reboot. Check to see if start button works, if it does reinstall Avast and it should still work. Not sure what is up with Avast and windows 10 but its a pretty common problem.

paulcheung

Thank you John,
I don't have Avast installed. so it is not it. It cause by the Windows 10 April 15 2016 update. which was the last window update I have on the list, I uninstalled it and the problem fixed. Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Oh hey look! Another Windows 10 issue!

I'm having a similar issue on a clients laptop that was upgraded from 7 to 10. You click the start button and a critical error pops up saying the start menu is unavailable and it will attempt to be fixed the next time you log on.......

Windows 10 sucks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Things work well when doing a fresh install. All these quirks are because of existing software installed. But we have all been saying fresh install instead of upgrade for years now.