Please help retrieve my files

romans535

I am desperate and very upset, I have this old Dell laptop which I only use to store my music via Itunes I'm not sure what happened but all I could get on the screen is "DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED PRESS CLTR+ALT+DEL TO START" all I care about are the songs on Itunes. How can I retrieve these songs with out costing hundreds of dollars. (which is what some computer repair places told me"

Midna

Buy an external hard drive case and put your HDD in there. You should be able to retrieve your files. Make sure that the external hard drive case is compatible with your HDD. You said your have an old Dell, you I would more then bet that your HDD is IDE instead of SATA.

romans535

thanks for the input, I called my newfew who has an external hard drive. I told him the situation but he does not know how to do it. A computer tech thay I gave me some advice mebtioned using a USB cable and runing my laptop as SLAVE another computer. Can you help me on how exactly this is done.Thanks again

Midna

Do you have an IDE external HDD case yet? When you get it. It should have directions to open it up and you plug the IDE cable into your HDD, close your HDD case the plug it in and plug in USB to your computer.

Once there, goto Documents and Settings> (your username)> your desktop and to to the folder where your music is stored.

romans535

ok my nepheq does have an external hard drive. I'm not sure about the case and all that technical stuff. can I IM you tomorrow when I get to my nephews house hopefully I can do it. thanks

Midna

ok my nepheq does have an external hard drive. I'm not sure about the case and all that technical stuff. can I IM you tomorrow when I get to my nephews house hopefully I can do it. thanks

Yes. I can send you my WLM if you have that. I have every Instant Messanger but WLM is the one I use the most.

My WLM is [email protected]

Last edited: