Please help with speaker set-up! :)

nathan32111

Hey there, havent being on here for a longgggg time but i was hoping someone could give us hand with this..

So basically ive come across these speakers and an amp... they sound great despite the age of it all but i cant help but feel like it sound a lot better if set up different.

Bare with me while i try to work out how to add photos.. ill try to add pics to show the current way ive got it :good:

Attachments

• IMG_20141111_105721[1].jpg
    IMG_20141111_105721[1].jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 49

nathan32111

Xylq7LD.jpg

njGq7TK.jpg

GQpkGpc.jpg

nathan32111

sorry for the huge pics lol but yea so the first two show what wires the spekaers ahve and the last picture is how i currently have it set up... so ive essentially joined the bare wires together? which is probably very wrong haha.

Geoff

VIP Member
The photos are very large, it's hard to see what you're doing.

It should be a simple setup though, the left speaker plugs in the left speaker input on the amp, and same for the right speaker, just match up the positive and negative terminals with the cables. Although it looks like one of your rear speakers has the positive and negative wires reversed, and why do you have two wires going into each terminal?

You could always replace the speaker wire with new, heavier gauge wiring, and never leave wires exposed.

nathan32111

right, for the 'rear speakers' im using those plugs just to act as tweeters i guess? i just changed the positive and negative to match but i dont think it made a difference anyway...

so the reason why ive joined the wires (the two going into each terminal) is because i thought that the subs in each speaker would use those terminals as the bassyer outputs?

yea im a rookie at this haha.

cheers

nathan32111

Just to clarify the top picture is of the speakers on the bottom, they have two wires coming out, im guessing one for the higher sounds and one for the low.

The second picture shows the bigger speakers i have one top which only have one wire..

G80FTW

First off, you need to replace your RCA input cables, because those are done for in terms of quality.

Secondly, I would replace that speaker wire as well, since thats a really cheap fix.

Thirdly, those speakers dont look that "great" but replacing those input cables would certainly put your mind at ease not having to worry about it shorting out and ruining something.

Fourthly, from the looks of things you have them all wired in parallel which reduces the impedance and in turn reduces overall sound quality. If you want sound quality, your going to have to wire them in series which will offer much much better SQ at the expense of overall power output.