Please Help!!!

jamesjames

First of all, thanks in advanced for any help that you people might have...

So I got a new motherboard, the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. I purchased this mother board and a brand new heat sink to increase my computers performance and possibly overclock my e6400 in the future.

I installed everything appropriately and it work fine! I couldn't believe it. However, I have been having some problems with my 7900gt video card. No driver will install correctly and I get a green wavy screen seen here,

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=45707

I followed bobskisr's post (2nd one down) to try and fix the problem. Once I reached step 7 my computer has not restarted since. After the windows boot up screen finishes, a black screen comes up and I can see my cursor and move it around.

I have tried restarting into safemode and still nothing happens, it stalls at the same place, can anyone help me?

Yue

Did u just swap the board with ur old one then boot back into windows....... because normally when u swap out a major componant like the motherboard it is best to do a complete format/re-install.Thats always been what ive found best to do.

jamesjames

The problem is, I tried to reinstall the OS, but i have only a vista upgrade disk and a media center edition disk that I got with my computer. I try to install mce and before I can partition anything or do an install, I get a blue screen with error code 0x0000007b. Any idea what to do and thanks for helping out...

Yue

just a thought, have u checked the mobo to make sure that everything is seated properly, ram, cpu, etc?

Also make sure there is nothing obstructing the cpu fan. i remember when i upgraded my old comp ages back, a wire was in the way and stopped the fan from going hence i got weird error screens en all. Just a thought.

jamesjames

I just opened up my side panel and checked everything. All is good and nothing is connected incorrectly, any other help?

Yue

have u got another PCIe card laying around that u could put in to see if that makes a difference. i searched google about the error code which lead me to microsofts site, one suggestion for a fix was moving the drive to another computer, and running chkdsk on it. not sure if tht would work but its an option if u have the means.

Also i came across another forum thread about a guy having the same problems as u but with his cd-rw drive, a guy posted the following link

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795508.aspx

few things stand out like running chkdsk on the drive and trying the 'last known good configuration' option when it offers u choices (safe mode, etc)

"If a driver was recently added, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time."

Give the suggestions a try, might be suprised :) hope it helps m8

jamesjames

I tried putting in another video card, an 8600gts but still the same thing happens. I have tried last known good configuration, safe mode, blah blah blah, multiple times, haha.

I will try and put my hard drive into another computer and run chkdsk to see what happens, thanks for the help.

jamesjames

Hey, do you think this would work...

Well, first of all is there a program I can burn to a disk that would completely wipe out my hard drive, one that is bootable? I've been looking around and no luck.

I could do that and then try to reinstall mce.

I read somewhere that people get the 7b error when trying to install mce because there are left over files from mce still on the computer.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I tried putting in another video card, an 8600gts but still the same thing happens. I have tried last known good configuration, safe mode, blah blah blah, multiple times, haha.

I will try and put my hard drive into another computer and run chkdsk to see what happens, thanks for the help.

ha ha. Good luck. I'm havin' the same problems w/ Vista and GPU drivers. I'm reinstalling my OS as a type. lol? :(

Yue

not sure about a programe to format it that way. it would be easier to put the hdd in another comp and format it in windows. it should then be ready for a new os.

jamesjames

would i be able to completely wipe out my hd if it were plugged into someone elses computer just using there vista disk...I'm not quite sure how to do this can you help me out? Thanks.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Format your disk w/ the Vista upgrade DVD. When asked to provide a Product Key, choose the option to provide the product key later. After you successfully install Vista, provide the product key and activate Windows.

Yue

ive only installed vista once months ago and can't remember how the setup goes, but if ur gonna plug it into someone elses comp u could format it in windows, easier.

Yue

i would say get ur drive in another comp, get into windows and format it from there. then stick it bck in ur comp and try installin MCE again. if that don't work then i don't know, maybe a fault with the mobo?

jamesjames

OK, I will try formating in another computer and I don't think its the mobo because it worked fine until I started messing around with my video drivers