Please Help!!!

jamesjames

by formatting in another computer do you mean, setting there computer to cdrom boot priority, putting there vista disk in and then selecting my hard drive and deleting it or an I way off track here...

Yue

nah, set the drive up as a slave if its IDE. if its sata it should bve as simple as just connecting it, i think - don't quote me though :p

then boot into windows and ur drive should show in my computer, right click and then format

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
nah, set the drive up as a slave if its IDE. if its sata it should bve as simple as just connecting it, i think - don't quote me though :p

then boot into windows and ur drive should show in my computer, right click and then format

^ Yeah. That's what you want to do.

I'm not sure why you're computer will not boot from CD/DVD. That's kinda important.

jamesjames

alright well i can't do this tonight, i will try tommarow or sunday, really guys, thanks for all your help. I will keep you updated.

jamesjames

Question - My Hardrive is plugged into another machine, I have run chkdsk and no problems were found. I now want to just format my hardrive and reinstall windows.

Can I reinstall windows with the recovery disk my computer manufacturer gave me that was preloaded onto my system on a formated hardrive?

paratwa

See, I think thats your problem. Was this originally a Dell, HP or some other system that was pre built and only came with a recovery disk?

jamesjames

yeah it was an hp that came with a recovery disk, so can I not wipe my hardrive and then use the recovery disk to reinstall the operating system?

paratwa

It's more the fact that you changed your motherboard. HP does what is called Tattoing the motherboard. It's a code that's either in the motherboards bio's or somewhere on the mother board that your recovery disk looks for. If the disk does not see that code, it will not install.

That way HP can keep people from installing that disk on more than one system.

Here is a link to a forum that is talking about this.
http://www.geek.com/forums/topic.php?id=30670&page&rfp=dta

It is also called bio's locked. Meaning the recovery cd is locked the the original bio's on the system.

You are probably going to have to buy a new copy of windows.

paratwa

I am also guessing that when you put the new motherboard in you did not reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows before starting it up the first time, if so that can cause all kinds of driver issues. Any time you change a motherboard to one that has a different set of chipsets, then you need to reformat and reinstall windows.

jamesjames

thanks for your help, looks like i will be buying a new os. To prepare my hardrive for a new os install I should format it in my friends comp just by right clicking and selecting format right?

paratwa

The best way is to buy the copy of your OS and just put in the drive. It will ask you if you want to reformat.

jamesjames

well, my mce disk wouldn't work, the vista xpress upgrade wouldn't work, so i just but a new oem of vista premium 64bit. Everything is working fine now and thanks for all your help

paratwa

I think I found a solution to this, I know it's to late, but I am going to share it with you.

I just ran into the 0x000007b problem, and this is what was wrong.
When setting up a newer system with a sata drive especially with XP or 2000, you need to go into the bios and under Intergrated Peripherals and OnChip SATA type, you need to make sure that Native IDE is selected, If you are installing ME or 98 you need to select Legacy IDE.

The selection AHCI seems to be for vista only.

I am setting a Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 up with XP and I ran into the error. Once I selected Native IDE it worked.

This is mostly for everyones information encase you run into this same problem.

The reason Vista worked for you was that SATA is natively on the OS, while XP, 2000, ME and 98 are not.

Last edited: