please help

X-Raided

ok so i have a acer aspire 5532 and its got a problem that i cannot solve. what i would like to do is to just restore it to factory settings. i have read on the internet and it says i will need a Windows 7 installation disc inorder to do this. i looked up the disc and it costs anwhere from $100 to $350 dollars. is there anyway i can do this process without having to spend that much for a disc?

when i try to press f10 as the computer is booting up so i can try and work with those options i get the message "port 0 : st9500325as S.M.A.R.T Status bad, Backup and replace. Press f1 to resume"

can anyone give me some help please i dont want to spend that much money on a disc :(

wolfeking

banned
If you are getting a SMART error, your drive is toast. No good to restore it.

However, Acer has a program installed on it from the factory that lets you make a restore disk. You likely got warnings from it several times to make the disk when you first got it.

If you did not, then press F2 at boot and look for a partition to boot from that you don't normally see. It will not be the primary boot or the DVD drive.
If that don't work, try F8 during windows boot and check for a restore there.

I'm not really sure how to it the proper way. All my acers showed the partition in the GRUB menu after dual booting them.

X-Raided

If you are getting a SMART error, your drive is toast. No good to restore it.

However, Acer has a program installed on it from the factory that lets you make a restore disk. You likely got warnings from it several times to make the disk when you first got it.

If you did not, then press F2 at boot and look for a partition to boot from that you don't normally see. It will not be the primary boot or the DVD drive.
If that don't work, try F8 during windows boot and check for a restore there.

I'm not really sure how to it the proper way. All my acers showed the partition in the GRUB menu after dual booting them.

ok i tried the f2 at start and still get the smart error.

but my brother has the same exact computer as me (acer aspire 5532) is there a way i could get the windows 7 or whatever i need off of that computer? also, the computer im using right now is a Acer hard drive that i stuck into my old Asus aspire 5532 (same computer i have now). the problem with that is, most of the drivers dont work, usb, memory card slots all that stuff, its pretty much only useful to get on the internet. is there a way i could program the Acer hardrive to work properly in my current Asus laptop? thank you for you help

wolfeking

banned
assuming that there are mechanically identical, then you can use the restore disk creater off his computer to make the disks. However, you will have an issue if there is a slight change, like different wireless card or a different chipset.

X-Raided

assuming that there are mechanically identical, then you can use the restore disk creater off his computer to make the disks. However, you will have an issue if there is a slight change, like different wireless card or a different chipset.

would you happen to know about how many discs that will take? if it does work. and is that my only option pretty much i cant do nothing with this Acer harddrive? sorry im not that great with computers i only know the basics. i just dont want to spend much money just to repair this computer its not even a year old and my 3rd laptop in 3 years.

wolfeking

banned
if my memory holds, it needs 4 DVD-r disks to complete.

And I really do wish you would have came here before you bought your acer laptop. That is some of your issue right there. I have gone through more Acer laptops than boot straps in the last 3 years (4 to 1 ratio there).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can download the windows 7 iso and create a install dvd here. Then all you would need to do is use the key that is on the bottom of the laptop to activate.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Just pick the correct version you have, I'm assuming home premium 64 bit. Of course you would have to install all drivers necessary afterwards which you can get from the acer website. Also all acer software will not be installed.

Another option would be to contact acer for recovery cds.

X-Raided

You can download the windows 7 iso and create a install dvd here. Then all you would need to do is use the key that is on the bottom of the laptop to activate.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Just pick the correct version you have, I'm assuming home premium 64 bit. Of course you would have to install all drivers necessary afterwards which you can get from the acer website. Also all acer software will not be installed.

Another option would be to contact acer for recovery cds.

so doing this option is going to save me from having to buy a new hard drive?

X-Raided

if my memory holds, it needs 4 DVD-r disks to complete.

And I really do wish you would have came here before you bought your acer laptop. That is some of your issue right there. I have gone through more Acer laptops than boot straps in the last 3 years (4 to 1 ratio there).

okay im going to pick up a pack of dvd and try yours and Johns ideas.

and actually its not a acer that i have now. acer was my first laptop that broke just the screen broke. so i saved the hard drive. then i got a Asus that got a virus so i stuck the acer hard drive in it and it barely works only the internet pretty much. then i got the exact same asus laptop which im having the problem with now. Acer and Asus i get confused too. id like to find a way to program this Acer harddrive to completely function properly in my messed up Asus

MyCattMaxx

If you put the Acer HDD in the Asus you need to reinstall the OS to make it work right.
You could ask John to help you clean the virus from the Asus HDD.

X-Raided

If you put the Acer HDD in the Asus you need to reinstall the OS to make it work right.
You could ask John to help you clean the virus from the Asus HDD.

this is probably a dumb question but windows 7 is the OS right? so i would just do what John suggested (burn the windows 7 iso to a disc and install?)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You are gonna have to do a fresh install of windows since you put in a hard drive from a previous computer, thats the reason its running crappy. You can't just take drives from one system and insert them in another and expect them to run properly. Each system has different hardware and that was how windows was setup. Download the ISO for the correct version of windows that was on the laptop originally and use the cdkey on the bottom of the laptop to activate or contact the manufacturer for recovery cd's...

X-Raided

You are gonna have to do a fresh install of windows since you put in a hard drive from a previous computer, thats the reason its running crappy. You can't just take drives from one system and insert them in another and expect them to run properly. Each system has different hardware and that was how windows was setup. Download the ISO for the correct version of windows that was on the laptop originally and use the cdkey on the bottom of the laptop to activate or contact the manufacturer for recovery cd's...

well i still have the acer hard drive too. i have two harddrives. i talk to a computer guy today and he said for $50 dollars he will use something called "norton ghost" i think it was? to fix the computer. do you think that is a fair price? if its an easy process two fix either one of the hard drives id rather do that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would not be using Norton ghost to clone a hard drive with a smart failure. Your best bet is to back up data immediately and install a fresh copy of windows.

X-Raided

I would not be using Norton ghost to clone a hard drive with a smart failure. Your best bet is to back up data immediately and install a fresh copy of windows.

well im guessing he would be making a clone of my brothers hard drive. and there is no data to back up i already lost everything.
maybe if you or someone here could give me some step by step instructions on how to create my own windows 7 disc and install it id really appreciate it, as i said before im not that great with computer just the basics and maybe a little more.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The best thing to do would be to do a fresh install and get rid of all the OEM bloatware, that slows the machine down. And you can install only the software you want. You can do what you want but most people would use the ISO download and install and then activate using the key on the bottom of your laptop.

X-Raided

The best thing to do would be to do a fresh install and get rid of all the OEM bloatware, that slows the machine down. And you can install only the software you want. You can do what you want but most people would use the ISO download and install and then activate using the key on the bottom of your laptop.

as for OEM bloatware i have no idea what that is.
im gonna go here http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/ and download home premium 64 bit im sure thats the right one. and put them on some blank cd's hopefully all goes well. ill post back here tomorrow after ive tried and let ya know how it worked. thanks again for your help John

MyCattMaxx

You have to burn it to a single DVD.
Your burner software has to be able to burn ISO's.
OEM bloatware is all the extra crap you will never really use.
Like trial versions of Norton etc.

Last edited:

X-Raided

You have to burn it to a single DVD.
Your burner software has to be able to burn ISO's.
OEM bloatware is all the extra crap you will never really use.
Like trial versions of Norton etc.

really just one cd? how big is the file then. and if it cant burn the disc could i just put it on a flash drive