please help

X-Raided

Why dont you just turn SMART off in the bios, and restore factory settings via the F2 method?

can you explain this a little more in depth to someone that doesnt know too much about this stuff? mainly turning off SMART in the bios. sounds like this could be a whole lot easier

Okedokey

In the bios under advanced it should have sata settings. In there there will be a SMART area where you can enable or disable it. Disable it, and restore. Then renable it if you want.

X-Raided

yeah i dont think this is gonna work because no matter what function key i press it still just takes me to the SMART message.

Okedokey

Download the Windows USB tool. Google it.

In terms of SMART, if you disable it, the message and stop will not happen.

X-Raided

Yeah, but your defeating the purpose of the technology. Once you get a smart error, you need to replace the drive.

if thats the case that i need a new drive then whats the point of downloading the windows 7 iso.

also do i need a internal hard drive or a solid state drive?

there is quite a price difference between the two and i dont know what one i need.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You use the iso to reinstall windows. You will need to use a DVD to burn the iso. An SSD will boot a lot quicker then a regular hard drive. But like you said, there is a huge price difference. I would suggest a standard hard drive.

Okedokey

If you have a good back up, and don't care if the drive might fail, I would just turn off SMART, install Windows via the USB tool and see how you go. I have had a HDD report a smart fail warning for about 2 years in my system. Still fine.

As I said, if you back up and don't care if it fails, I would just reinstall on your current drive.

X-Raided

If you have a good back up, and don't care if the drive might fail, I would just turn off SMART, install Windows via the USB tool and see how you go. I have had a HDD report a smart fail warning for about 2 years in my system. Still fine.

As I said, if you back up and don't care if it fails, I would just reinstall on your current drive.

i dont know how you did it but theres no way for me to turn off the smart message.

after downloading the windows usb tool now it wont let me copy the ISO to the usb. im losing faith that this can be fixed with my limited knowledge of computers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Forget about the usb install. Buy some dvd-r so you can burn the iso to a dvd and go from there.

X-Raided

Forget about the usb install. Buy some dvd-r so you can burn the iso to a dvd and go from there.

after a long day of working at it and alot of guesses, im up and running!! :)

im am very happy about this and now i feel like i can fix these other couple hard drives i have laying around that i figured would be useless after the viruses.

a few things...

The hard drive that was getting the S.M.A.R.T error i was not able to fix. although it was the first one i tried it might still work now that i know what to do. i will try that tomorrow.

my previous hard drive that had a virus i was able to fix by doing the ISO on a dvd method.

i was able to find most of the drivers but there are 2 that i cannot find.

1: PCI Simple Communications Controller
2: SM Bus Controller

any ideas what these are or where i could find them?

Again, thanks all for your help i wouldnt have been able to figure this stuff out if ya weren't helping me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The smbus will be taken care of once you install the chipset driver and the other one is most likely the dial up modem.