please reccomend a good computer magazine

mikekelly

hello again, could anyone reccomend a good pc magazine ? i am looking for something that will help develop some skills from scratch, although i have used pc's for some years i am still a novice.

for instance i picked up a magazine today called pc pro(i know, i know the pro thing should have steered me elsewhere) and it all seemed like jargon. i should have picked up something that suited my basic understanding a bit better.

who knows maybe there is one called pc pro lehmans edition j/k

so can anybody help ?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would have reccomended reccomended MaximumPC ... a decent magazine overall but i was just reading over the last 5 or so issues ... too many mistakes ... and some very shortsighted reviews (like their take on the V9999GE)... a decent magazine but certainly not the calibre it was, say, a year ago. :(

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
i second the recommendation on MaximumPC! but my last issue that i recieved dates back to 2002! lol, so i can't guarantee their current quality.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
If I had more money I would get:

Access VB-SQL Advisor
C/C++ Users Journal

Sys Admin
ColdFusion Developer's Journal
Visual Studio Magazine
.Net Developer's Journal
Maximum PC
Dr. Dobb's Journal
Embedded Systems Programming
and Linux Journal

But, since I do not have more money... The only two subscriptions I have are for SI Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
it's to bad MaximumLinux was shut down after less than a year. i subscribed to it long before the first issue even came out. :) most of the linux mags out there right now are little to dry for me. they remind me to much of many of the other pc mags focused more on business.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
it doesn't pay mine and it's in no way entertaining, in most cases. even if something interests me, if it's written extremely dry, it will put me to sleep!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
zkiller said:
it doesn't pay mine and it's in no way entertaining, in most cases. even if something interests me, if it's written extremely dry, it will put me to sleep!

Yes there is a lot of "dry" information out there.

I have a habit of trying to learn as much as I can... whether it is "dry" or not... it will find a place to be stored somewhere in my brain

double-dragon

I get computer buyer, pc plus(free from college), computer active(free from college) and something else which i cant remember

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have this month's (dunno whether it's Jan/Feb) of Maximum PC? If i recall correctly, them "experts" have a picture on the cover of them inserting an AthlonXP chip into a Pentium4 board ..... :D ... coupled with the mass errony of the December issue :p

You can kinda make out the pic from this mini but a hires scan would be nice :p
MPC0205covermini.jpg

OS Dragon

I can't really commend PC Pro as I have only ever had one copy, but I would recommend PC Plus.

This magazine will look at pc structures an analyse new PC and for those how like to program and developing good working programs to use PC Pro has masterclass tutorials that can be done with the aid of SuperDiscs loaded with top quality software. (and more) :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I like Maximum PC personally, but I'm willing to try something new.
Aye ya i used to as well .... and then i learned about computers :p (nah it's not all bad, they cater well to the intermediate reader)

Nephilim

VIP Member
If i recall correctly, them "experts" have a picture on the cover of them inserting an AthlonXP chip into a Pentium4 board

It's actually a Pentium M made for lappies so there's no slug on it. They used it in an article for making a silent PC. :)