Please recommend a 120mm fan for a kegerator

RickDel73

Can anyone recommend a cheap fan I can use inside my kegerator to circulate cold air? I need a good site to purchase the fan and I also need advice on how how to mount it inside the kegerator. I want to mount it to the kegerator wall but need an idea on what mount to use to create space behind the fan so I can get good airflow.

I'm planning to just mount a 120mm fan to the wall of the kegerator and wire it directly to an outlet. I think I can strip and splice an old cell phone charger for power. What do you guys think.

Thanks - Rick

CPTMuller

Newegg.com is a good site for buying fans 'n stuff
You need to cut a hole with 4 mounting holes around it, and I dont think that the cell phone charger thing is a safe idea
There might be a cheap power supply (adjustable voltage and wattage, not a computer power supply) that you could use.

RickDel73

thanks guys..... That fan on newegg should work fine. I'd actually found a few fans, but I'm mostly concerned with the MOUNT and the WIRING. I read at a couple other places that I just need to splice the red and black wires to a phone charger; however, if it's "not safe" can you recommend a solution? Also, where can I get a mount like this one?
HPIM0054-1.jpg

(fyi: the computer fan circulates air inside the kegerator and the blower at the bottom blows cold air up a tube to the tower/tap at a remote location)

Thanks Again, I realize this isn't a "computer" question, but I figured this would be the best place for a good answer.... - Rick

RickDel73

thanks again Diduknowthat..... I considered using a powersupply, but what can I do with all the extra wires? Can I cut them off, or open it up and removing them somehow? I'll also add, I have very limited mechanical skills and knowledge.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Just tie it up and leave it lying around. You can also try to find a molex power supply. It's basically a small unit that only like 1 molex connector.

RickDel73

hmmmm, I was kinda hoping for a little cleaner look then having a bunch of wires laying around (I doubt anyone will see it, but I'm just particular like that)

Also, do you see any problems running this inside a VERY cold kegerator? I don't want to risk burning my house down just to have a cold beer.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
How cold is very cold? The only thing that'll be troubling is condensation. As long as you don't have that, your PSU will be very happy.

RickDel73

hmmm, about 34 - 36 degrees... Hopefully NOT, but a little condensation is definitely an unfortunate possibility.

I've attached two pics below of a power supply someone else used and sealed it up.

Here's two more pics of mounts. I'd REALLY like to find something like the second pic....
100_1589.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • psII.jpg
    psII.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

CPTMuller

The problem with the two wire modifications is that the 24 pin power connector also has a "trigger" if you will, that turns on power and turns it off, it may be difficult to make sure that it triggers power on and off.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You can turn the PSU on by shorting the green pin and any black pin on the 24-pin motherboard connector. You'll probably want to rig up some type of switch if you're going to permanently use it that way.

RickDel73

Well, thanks for the recommendations, but the power supply idea seems like a little more work than I was hoping for (I'll have to learn and understand all the pins and wires). I just want a simple solution.

Can anyone tell me if, and where, I can buy a mount like the ones I posted pictures of?

Thanks