Pleeease help me uprgrage

Steve840

Hi, I'm relatively stupid at computers and I am looking for some advice about upgrading. I currently have:

Processor: Pentium 4, 1.6 gHz FSB400 w/512k Socket 478

Motherboard: ASUS P4333 VM 400Mhz FSB 3xPCI 1xAGP4X DDR266/333 ATX

Memory: 256 MB DDR PC266

Video: SIS 730S 2D/3D 128-bit Graphics accelerator

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to probably upgrade the Ram and video card. My first question would be is this possible with my motherboard, second would be what products should i get.

I'm trying to keep my costs to a minumum. I intend to use this computer for gaming, specifically I intend to get World of Warcraft.

My spending money is somewhere around $250 hopefully

Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Steve

diablo

upgrade

well I'd say due to your money restraints and if your into gaming then I would go for the new video card. Something like an

ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card

or

nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or 6800 Video Card

then I would save up some more money and upgrade your ram to a minimum of 512 mb if not 1 gb +

thats just my opinion though. hope it helps

Steve840

thanks

thank you

Out of curiosity, what do you think is the least amount of money i could spend, while still purchasing quality (I dont want to buy two pieces of crap). I was thinking of getting 512 ram along with the video card you mentioned.

diablo

Steve840 said:
thank you

Out of curiosity, what do you think is the least amount of money i could spend, while still purchasing quality (I dont want to buy two pieces of crap). I was thinking of getting 512 ram along with the video card you mentioned.

if you want one of the vid cards listed above about $230 US . search the net and find a good price. Begining of the year and alot of sales going on and rebates.

for ram, 512 $80 US for a decent brand. I wouldn't go generic on the ram. Go with a good trusted brand that has a warenty.ie: corsair, rosewill, kingston, wintec, samsung

ZER0X

VIP Member
You could get a 256mb to make it 512 and then get something like a Radeon 9600 it'd be fine for WoW. Afterwards I'd consider getting a new CPU :)

b3n

VIP Member
As ZER0X said, a cpu upgrade will probably be necassary soon. Anything below 2.0ghz is becoming slightly outdated.