Plz critique my HTPC build

MouSe

Thanks for that link, but I want a modular PSU to save clutter in a cramped case. I know I don't need that much power, but modular PSU's don't start small.

MouSe

Also, will I need a GPU with HDMI for full 1080p support, or should the onboard HDMI be fine? I can't find anything anywhere that says if its good or not.

MouSe

I have another desktop and laptop that can burn DVD's. Looking only to get what I need for the lowest price. If something is overkill (like the PSU) but it's cheaper then I'll get it.

Benny Boy

If your trying to get the cost down, AMD would save about $50 on the cpu/mb, more if you went x2 or x3, and I think the igp's a bit better.

PS: The style of the 380 above will acually work better imo. The your 550 will draw it's air from right next to the HS. Better to have the air coming from inside the case(esp since that case has all the inlets). I also would suggest non-modular. Altho it seems mod would be better, in a small case such as that not having the cables sleeved allows for easier routing and have a smaller footprint. If you want to allow overhead for a gpu you could get a ps with 3 or 4 Sata connectors and 1 - 2+6 pin to keep the cabling at a minimum. Cold/heat shrink tape or tubes can be used if you want them to look better.

Aastii

VIP Member
If your trying to get the cost down, AMD would save about $50 on the cpu/mb, more if you went x2 or x3, and I think the igp's a bit better.

PS: The style of the 380 above will acually work better imo. The your 550 will draw it's air from right next to the HS. Better to have the air coming from inside the case(esp since that case has all the inlets). I also would suggest non-modular. Altho it seems mod would be better, in a small case such as that not having the cables sleeved allows for easier routing and have a smaller footprint. If you want to allow overhead for a gpu you could get a ps with 3 or 4 Sata connectors and 1 - 2+6 pin to keep the cabling at a minimum. Cold/heat shrink tape or tubes can be used if you want them to look better.

Regarding AMD I thought so at first, however if you think about it, the integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge are about as good as a low-mid end graphics card, so miles ahead of anything integrated that AMD has to offer. It would just ensure that OP doesn't get stutter or any problems with video playback, even though he is technically on integrated.

The alternative would be AMD + GPU, which would increase power draw, and the overall price, so actually, what he put is the better option.

Regarding the PSU, you would still have plenty of room, the 380W unit only has mobo connectors and a few SATA/Molex connectors + 1 6 pin PCIe connector. With the exception of the PCIe connector, the cables on the unit are the same as what you would need to have on there anyway. Modular units don't have individual cables, they are the same as a normal PSU where by a single cable will have a few headers on it.

Benny Boy

Regarding AMD I thought so at first, however if you think about it, the integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge are about as good as a low-mid end graphics card, so miles ahead of anything integrated that AMD has to offer. It would just ensure that OP doesn't get stutter or any problems with video playback, even though he is technically on integrated.

The alternative would be AMD + GPU, which would increase power draw, and the overall price, so actually, what he put is the better option.

Regarding the PSU, you would still have plenty of room, the 380W unit only has mobo connectors and a few SATA/Molex connectors + 1 6 pin PCIe connector. With the exception of the PCIe connector, the cables on the unit are the same as what you would need to have on there anyway. Modular units don't have individual cables, they are the same as a normal PSU where by a single cable will have a few headers on it.

OK.
SB/newest arch. is the way to go then :good:
On a side note if I may, and correct me if I'm wrong, but for htpc use the 4xxx would work well without stutter and will also game a little. In gaming may be a bit of diff. comparing the 2, but since the 4xxx/5450 hybrid doesn't really produce any more real life performance, wouldn't the SB/4XXX have basically the same use? We wouldn't get a 5450 w/either igp if we needed more hp and anything bigger renders either igp usless in that reguard.

"plenty of room". If cable management, I agree with the 380's design. If intake next to HS, I still like the 380's rear intake design.

MouSe

Ok. So, if I'm reading this right I should just swap the PSU's and I should be good then? The integrated graphics that come on that board should be good enough for HD playback on a HTPC? This thing will not game at all. The only thing it will be used for besides HTPC is web surfing now and then.

I have my current desktop for gaming.

spynoodle

Ok. So, if I'm reading this right I should just swap the PSU's and I should be good then? The integrated graphics that come on that board should be good enough for HD playback on a HTPC? This thing will not game at all. The only thing it will be used for besides HTPC is web surfing now and then.

I have my current desktop for gaming.
Sandy Bridge integrated graphics is plenty for HD. ;) Check this benchmark:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_2500K_GPU/1.html
It's actually better than a lot of low-end GPUs. That's pretty epic. :)

spynoodle

Sweeeet. All I needed to know really.
Cool. :cool: Those drives are surprisingly fast for their RPMs, too. They must have some pretty huge platters (probably 3x666gb). I've personally switched from WD to Samsung in a couple of my comps, because they seem to offer great bang-for-the-buck.

MouSe

I'm not too concerned with the speed of them actually. If it takes a couple seconds for the drive to spin up and let me watch my movie/TV show, so be it.